• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 22, 2024, 05:54:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,363
  • Total Topics: 18,545
  • Online today: 843
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 841
Total: 841

Moving Angels

Started by LizStreithorst, May 28, 2014, 05:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Moved fish this afternoon and I need to move more.  I'm choosing keepers and ones to grow larger.  I separated the hb spawn that all but 1 turned back, then did my best to kill off.  Five survived  including one who is black tail only.  One  is p/p the others are p/+.   I moved them to a 60 where they are a bit lost.  I'm going to move as many younger h/h p/p's to save to grow out more.  I like the look, they are harder to raise and I think that they're worth a higher price.  Who has h/h p/p's but me?

Tomorrow Mug's 5 adult Koi get moved to the shop.  The shop tank needs more variety.  I only raised one spawn and they are better than the parents.  If I decide to breed koi, I'd rather choose my breeders from the kids.  Most or oranger and many are blushers.  The parents must have been blusing/+.

How am I doing on my greek, Mug?
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

While awaiting Jon's critique I can tell you that you're starting to sound Greek to me. Lol.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 28, 2014, 05:44:55 PM
Moved fish this afternoon and I need to move more.  I'm choosing keepers and ones to grow larger.  I separated the hb spawn that all but 1 turned back, then did my best to kill off.  Five survived  including one who is black tail only.  One  is p/p the others are p/+.   I moved them to a 60 where they are a bit lost.  I'm going to move as many younger h/h p/p's to save to grow out more.  I like the look, they are harder to raise and I think that they're worth a higher price.  Who has h/h p/p's but me?

Tomorrow Mug's 5 adult Koi get moved to the shop.  The shop tank needs more variety.  I only raised one spawn and they are better than the parents.  If I decide to breed koi, I'd rather choose my breeders from the kids.  Most or oranger and many are blushers.  The parents must have been blusing/+.

How am I doing on my greek, Mug?

The Koi are all blushing. The red gill plates fade to clear as adults....some can retain the blush tho into adulthood.....and yes, those parents are popping some sweet youngn's for sure.....I've got a few for my 'futures' myself... ;D...
Koi by name refers to a genotype that is either Gm/Gm S/S or Gm/g S/S......as you can see they both are double dose stripeless.

Here's an interesting challenge for you....breed your h/h +/p to get h/h half blacks...no pearl scale...see if you get those to 'turn' too?...then you'd have both to offer for sales....you'll sell more too..........lots of folks don't care for it, plus it can turn off any breeders because quite a few don't like to mess with the pearl scale....capise?....I'm like Rob Pelsor, if the gene could be eradicated? , I'd help out..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Intiendo bien.  You don't like it, I like it a lot and think it's worth it.  It's because every one has his own taste.  I won't breed it out.  I want it in.   If you want to breed it out be my guest.  I will send you a pair of h/h p/+ and you can breed it out yourself :P

I NEVER saw a blusher in the parent Koi.  I only had 5 survive shipping but none of the 5 show it.  Not all of the kids have it either.  Could their be an Ethiopian in the fuel supply? (WC Fields  "my little Chicadee)

I am having trouble understanding a bit of your Greek.  Does GM/g SS/SS explain why some of mine are light gold with no black?  Does it mean that both of my parents were GM/g SS/SS?

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 28, 2014, 06:48:54 PM
Intiendo bien.  You don't like it, I like it a lot and think it's worth it.  It's because every one has his own taste.  I won't breed it out.  I want it in.   If you want to breed it out be my guest.  I will send you a pair of h/h p/+ and you can breed it out yourself :P

I NEVER saw a blusher in the parent Koi.  I only had 5 survive shipping but none of the 5 show it.  Not all of the kids have it either.  Could their be an Ethiopian in the fuel supply? (WC Fields  "my little Chicadee)

I am having trouble understanding a bit of your Greek.  Does GM/g SS/SS explain why some of mine are light gold with no black?  Does it mean that both of my parents were GM/g SS/SS?

My suggestion about the half black was pointed at you having both available....

The Koi that you got were from a Gm/Gm S/S X Gm/g S/S.....the one's with lesser dark are likely the Gm/g......you'd get both in a spawn.........again, they are all S/S regardless of their ability to express the red gill plate, or not............they carry no other genes.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I don't care about having fish that aren't recessive for the pearlscale gene in my tanks.  The fish are good and it someone what the pearl scale gene gone it will be up to him to do it.  At some point I'll have to out cross, though.  I don't want to do it until I have to but when I do, the thought of Frank's half blues turn me on.  I'll loose a bit of pearl scale but get a chance at blue.

I looked hard at the Koi.  Almost all are blushers, but I swear. a few are not.  I'll separate them and take pics if you like.  Does your Greek mean that my fish that show no black are  g/g SS/SS?

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 28, 2014, 07:24:07 PM
I don't care about having fish that aren't recessive for the pearlscale gene in my tanks.  The fish are good and it someone what the pearl scale gene gone it will be up to him to do it.  At some point I'll have to out cross, though.  I don't want to do it until I have to but when I do, the thought of Frank's half blues turn me on.  I'll loose a bit of pearl scale but get a chance at blue.

I looked hard at the Koi.  Almost all are blushers, but I swear. a few are not.  I'll separate them and take pics if you like.  Does your Greek mean that my fish that show no black are  g/g SS/SS?

Liz, I believe you....it's just that because you don't see the 'blush' doesn't mean the genes aren't there..........they are there...whether you see them or not....same with color coverage...the fish have the genes to express, but not all will do so in a uniform way......
Jon