• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 12:14:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 534
Total: 534

What's the low-down.....

Started by BallAquatics, January 20, 2014, 02:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

On the origin of the name Angelfish?  With all you Angel nuts on-board, surely someone knows some aquatic history about these fish???

Dennis

Mugwump

This is pretty much how I heard it years ago....

The so called Angelfishes are cichlids belonging to the genus Pterophyllum in the family Cichlidae. They are often referred to simply as ?Angels?. Wild Ptherophyllum cichlids live in slowly moving water in the Amazon and Guyana River in South America, and in smaller rivers and streams connected to these rivers. These waters are often filled with algae and compactly grown plants, and the Angelfish has developed a body ideal for venturing through such environments without getting entangled. The body of an Angelfish is flat and rounded like a disc, and laterally compressed. When the Angelfish swims, it keeps its body upright. The dorsal, pectoral and ventral fins are long and the tail of the fish is broadly splayed. You can see dark vertical bands alternated with lighter areas on the body and fins of an Angelfish. This colouration enhances the tall look of the Angelfish.

Zeus scalaris was the first Angelfish described by science. A man named Liechtenstein collected the fish in Brazil in 1823, and it was later sent to the Berlin Museum. In 1840, Heckel found one other Angelfish and named it Pterophyllum scalaris. Ptherophyllum means ?having fins like leaves?. Today, the Angelfish is named Ptherophyllum scalare, but this name wasn?t coined until the beginning of the 1900s. The dorsal fins of the Angelfish look a bit like a stairway, hence the name scalare.

(for more)
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/angelfish2.php

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

.......And supposedly because their fins are shaped like angel wings.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)