• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 11:29:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 510
Total: 510

Need opinions of angelfish experts

Started by Barb, June 19, 2017, 04:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

I am growing out 4 Koi superveils to add to my 75 gal discus tank which has 7 adult discus in it.  The Koi are now half dollar body size with very long veils already.  They are in a 10 gal with twice a week 80% wcs.  Bare bottom and I feed them 4-5 meals a day.  My question is
Can I soon add them right into the discus tank?  I had thought to get a 20 gal tank to get them bigger first.  But I wonder if the 2 meals I feed the discus each day will be enough food for the angels to continue growing to full size?  I think not.  But maybe I could.  What do you all think I should do?
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on June 19, 2017, 04:52:25 PM
I am growing out 4 Koi superveils to add to my 75 gal discus tank which has 7 adult discus in it.  The Koi are now half dollar body size with very long veils already.  They are in a 10 gal with twice a week 80% wcs.  Bare bottom and I feed them 4-5 meals a day.  My question is
Can I soon add them right into the discus tank?  I had thought to get a 20 gal tank to get them bigger first.  But I wonder if the 2 meals I feed the discus each day will be enough food for the angels to continue growing to full size?  I think not.  But maybe I could.  What do you all think I should do?
Barb

....go ahead and toss 'em in.....no matter how many water changes, that 10gal is too small...especially super veils.....they need room...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'm not Angelfish expert but I agree.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Yes you are too an expert Liz.  I will do as you both say then.  About feeding now.  Should I give the discus and baby angels 4 smaller meals a day or just stick with the 2 good sized feedings the discus are used to?  They are all eating the same foods now.  Thanks Jon and Liz!
Barb

LizStreithorst

I wouldn't do 4 times unless you are prepared to change more water.  3 times would be better with growing Angels, but twice will be OK.

Try the food that you're feeding now and if the Angels cant eat it, go to something smaller.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Thanks Liz.  The discus and koi are all eating Al's FD black worms and various good quality dry foods.  Worms in the am and dry food at evening feed.  And I will keep the twice a week, 80% wcs going.  I have two discus pairs guarding eggs now.  Little do they know it is a  hopeless spawning, every week.  But they keep trying.
Barb