• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 11:00:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 836
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 794
Total: 794

Pecking at Leaves

Started by wallace, August 29, 2016, 10:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

They were staring at the slate too. This is the nice female Liz sent. This looks like a pair so I just moved the other two males out so these have the tank to themselves. The three bachelors are fighting in a 29g and will probably get moved tomorrow to a 90g with some rams.

I suppose they should be given a chance to parent raise this first time, especially if they spawn on the plant. But I'm open to suggestions. If they use the slate I might pull it since I need something to do.
Dan

Mugwump

Myself, I like to let 'em have a go of it a couple times....then, if I want a spawn, I'll yank one and let them continue trying...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

They are looking good. I would let them try to parent raise unless I needed the spawn then I would pull it.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

All my Angels have been parent raised so it worth it to let them try once or twice.  It's just lovely seeing the pair care for their kids.  But just because that my many generations have done it, it doesn't mean that your female from me and your male from Angels Plus will do it.  Some of my parent raised Angels are fierce parents.  Some eat their eggs or wait until they wiggle to eat them huh  Angels aren't as good at parenting as most Discus.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 30, 2016, 07:03:22 PM
All my Angels have been parent raised so it worth it to let them try once or twice.  It's just lovely seeing the pair care for their kids.  But just because that my many generations have done it, it doesn't mean that your female from me and your male from Angels Plus will do it.  Some of my parent raised Angels are fierce parents.  Some eat their eggs or wait until they wiggle to eat them huh  Angels aren't as good at parenting as most Discus.

....albeit, when angels raise, they raise many more fry....and the fry are not dependent on first food from/off the parents slime coat....the slime coat feeding alone makes them more involved.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Every one who has raised both knows that.  Do you remember back when I raised Angel wigglers on a Discus pair?  The Angel fry ate from the sides is the Discus.  It was way cool.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 30, 2016, 07:19:39 PM
Every one who has raised both knows that.  Do you remember back when I raised Angel wigglers on a Discus pair?  The Angel fry ate from the sides is the Discus.  It was way cool.

..yes, I do...and yeppers....way cool... |^|
Jon

wallace

Well... I'm thinking maybe the male is too young still. Before I moved the other 2 males out he seemed hot to trot, but afterwards his breeding tube went away... her breeding bump was out for a week and not anymore. She still hangs out in front of the slate though.

I checked and I got them in May when they were (going by memory) a little bigger than a 50 cent coin. That would make him what..7-8 months old?
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on September 10, 2016, 06:13:45 PM
Well... I'm thinking maybe the male is too young still. Before I moved the other 2 males out he seemed hot to trot, but afterwards his breeding tube went away... her breeding bump was out for a week and not anymore. She still hangs out in front of the slate though.

I checked and I got them in May when they were (going by memory) a little bigger than a 50 cent coin. That would make him what..7-8 months old?

...not to worry, you've moved them....that alone can be fine, or set em back a week, or so....let the young pair figure it out a bit...
Jon