• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 12:08:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 633
Total: 633

Happy Hump Day

Started by Barb, December 06, 2023, 06:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Good morning friends, I am up early so decided to begin the day here.  After I lost a long post yesterday, I am afraid to type much now.  Anyway I will try it.  I have read all your posts from the last few days.  Hope all is well with you and everyone is keeping busy and healthy and safe.  Several nights ago I had a fish tank disaster.  Still not over it.  Discus tank and pond are fine. But it is my Endler tank.  You all know how I enjoy my little Lime Greens. 

At 2am I heard a crash, in my bedroom where the 20 gal tank is located.  It has just Endlers, some plants on real wood.  No gravel.  Heater and sponge filter.  I had put a new heater in the tank, and the glass top wasn't sitting right since I hadnt gotten the heater in the best location.  One of my cats jumped onto the glass lid, which I try to block so they can;t get to it.  When the cat hit the glass, the whole top crashed down into the tank with some things on top of it I had put to keep cats off of it.

I got the stuff out of the tank as fast as I could, considering it was 2am.  Next morning I looked into the tank and was horrified to see about 3/4 of the fish dead, most of them the males.  They had been asleep when the glass crashed onto them, pushing them all down to the tank bottom.  Just horrible.

Soon as I have time I am redoing the tank, new location, and saving the best of what fish are left.  Very sad this happened.  Any of you have a lid crash down like this and kill fish?
Barb

Ron Sower

Hi Barb et. al.

I don't recall that ever happening to any of my thanks, Barb. I'm sorry you lost all those fish, especially since they are favorites of yours.

We had our SAS holiday party Sunday here in our ballroom. It was a wonderful afternoon, with 85 attendees. The gift exchange went well, as did the huge raffle and auction. Meetings are good places for meetups and presales. I sold a bunch and bought a bunch.

I was going to put the outside Xmas lights up yesterday, but a guy had backed into my car Monday and I needed to get estimates for replacing the bumper. They range between $1100 and $1800. The reason for the big difference is that there may be unseen damage that will require fixing too. The guy wanted to pay me cash. So if I take it I'll have to get more than the lowest estimate from him to cover the risk.

I started this post this morning then got sidetracked. Now I'm taking a break from hanging our Christmas lights up outside. It's warm 82°. I'm sweating more than when I did my cardio this morning! To my cardio instructors, the work I'm doing counts as activities, but not extra exercise!

OK I'm gonna get back to it now you folks have a good rest your day.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Barb I am so sorry to hear about your disaster. I have had a lid crash down in my tank but thankfully I had no losses. It was a huge PITA to get the shards of broken glass out of the tank so I took the fish out first. Luckily for me it was a lightly stocked tank of Angels.

Hopefully you had some male survivors.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.