• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 06:15:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 707
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 568
Total: 570

Miracle Gro

Started by Mugwump, May 10, 2013, 07:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilroost

Liz been doing it with my fish a couple years now with no problem. Now with that being said none of my fish are high dollar fish.

Mugwump

Quote from: ilroost on May 11, 2013, 08:36:49 PM
Liz been doing it with my fish a couple years now with no problem. Now with that being said none of my fish are high dollar fish.

LOL...sure they are....remember that Barb's using it with discus too. I think part of the Miracle Gro mystic is that it's new, some plant purists have argued it for years ( I googled some old plant forum posts) but almost all have agreed that it does no harm. With really high end plant setups, with CO2, and super lighting,etc, it becomes hard to recognize new things that are being tried with success. Sponges got the same reception many years back too.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

The good thing about it is it is cheap. lol
So if it works good, you can really save alot of money on ferts for your plants

BallAquatics

Quote from: ilroost on May 11, 2013, 08:51:05 PM
The good thing about it is it is cheap. lol

For you and I that's a good thing, but can you imagine Takashi Amano or any of his followers for that matter endorsing something simple and inexpensive.  That's always been a sticking point in this hobby for me.  When it comes to the big players, there's no market incentive for them to recommend a common sense solution.  In fact, they would rather cast doubt on such practices and promote their $$$ solutions.

Dennis

BillT

I have used it on bare plastic containers containing floating plants I want to make more of.
Works well for that.

Have not tried it with fish for Liz's reasons.

It would be interesting to know the ammonia concentrations for several days after giving the fertilizer.

Some fish like Tilapia are known for their ability to tolerate high ammonia, but some aren't.
Mostly I don't know which is which however.

Mugwump

I took a reading this morning, '0' Ammonia, and '0' nitrates.....assassin snails are scooting around just fine......the plant looks splendid... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

If I get up the nerve, I will move several pots with plants into my Discus tank and give it a try.  I have nothing to loose on the Discus.  I messed them up and they don't breed.  Might as well experiment with them.
Always move forward. Never look back.

ilroost

Any update ,is the swordplant looking better

Mugwump

Inside top/runners/etc look great...some low inside and far outside low are browning out...I have two lamps on there but seems like the plants so dense that it's not penetrating....may have to trim a bunch runners/babies off, and try to spread it out some....maybe the old 'orange juice glass in the middle' trick to train the growth to spread out the broad leaves some...??
Jon

Mugwump

After taking about 30+ runners off this sword, it's making a nice recovery....lots of new leaves...this is good, with all the runners, the plant wasn't getting enough light, and the runners were drawing nutrients from the host plant......but it looks like it's coming around now...
Jon

ilroost

so would you say the experiment was a sucess?

Rjb3

Some key ingredients for plant growth are chelated iron and iodide. Vitamins are also necessary including B-12. You'll want the nitrate and phosphate numbers low if there are fish in the tank.

Mugwump

There are guppies and a sword tail in the tank, all are doing fine....I'm using Capt'n Bob's root tabs and a diluted water mix of the Miracle grow. I only wish that we'd torn down the tank and then used Bob's substrate....
The nitrates are nil, with water changes. The iron and phosphates, I don't know...??...stilling getting new leaves started tho.... ;D...The addition of the Miracle Grow seems to have no effect on the fish at all.   
Jon

Ron Sower

Any more feedback from anyone on this topic?

When I restarted this hobby 3 years ago, one of the club members who has an exceptionally green thumb, aquatically and terrestrially, gave me a bottle of Osmocote Plus and showed me how to use it. I placed the little beads into plastic tubes with perforations all around them and capped them off. Then I shoved them into the substrate under and near the rooted plants like you would root tabs.

My plants grew phenomenally well and I never had a problem with my fish. After 3 months I'd pull the tubes out, empty the bead shells, refill them and place them back in the tank.

Now, for convenience sake, I'm using root tabs and Seachem Flourish.

After reading this thread, I'm thinking I might go the Miracle Gro route for a bit.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

My swords in the sand filled pots in the discus tank weren't doing well at all.  Holes were appearing in the leaves that were turning yellow and melting. I had done nothing to help them grow. Debated pitching them but instead, about two weeks ago, put Miracle Gro sticks in the pots. There is now new growth beginning in each of the pots. There's no notable effect on the discus or rams in that tank. 

I now have Miracle Gro sticks in my angel tanks also.  I break each stick into thirds and push them down next to the swords' roots.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)