• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 01:37:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 588
Total: 588

Miracle Gro

Started by Mugwump, May 10, 2013, 07:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I've run across an old discussion from Pete Mang (lotsa fish) that describes dosing plants with Miracle Gro..no harmful effects to fish, and great growth. Anyone here try this? Dose is 1/4 tsp per 10 gals, dry premixed in water before adding,etc
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

I have been doing this for a couple of years now.
Been working fine so far, no problems with my fish at all.
Plants are growing like crazy.When i do water changes i pour the old water on my wifes house plants and they are growing good also. I wonder if this is because of the miracle grow in the water.
The best part is it is cheap to buy a big thing of miracle grow. lol

Mugwump

The fish poop in the change water helps too.... ;D    I 'm going to try to pump my change water out to the garden this year...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I'm interested in anything that will help my plants. I was looking at Miracle Gro and there is alot of different ones. Which one do you use?
Scott

Mugwump

The standard, regular one....I believe....nothing special..
Jon

ilroost

I thought there would be a little more debate on this topic

BallAquatics

Quote from: ilroost on May 11, 2013, 06:23:59 PM
I thought there would be a little more debate on this topic

If Pete says it works without problems, that's good enough for me.  I've never known Pete to just parrot something he heard somewhere.  That said, I don't use it and probably won't start, but it's good to know at any rate.

Dennis

Mugwump

I dosed a 50 gal this morning...we'll see...no fish in there...
Jon

LizStreithorst

It would freak me out to put any soluble fert with a high nitrogen content in a tank with fish.  But I'm out of my league here..
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

The nitrogen isn't too bad, especially if you're doing timely water changes. I wonder about the trace copper content, with snails.....I'll check the nitrates regularly to see....this tank is a good test, large amazon sword, which should devout the nitrates, and just a few snails...
Jon

Barb

I have been using the Miracle Gro fertilizer sticks, meant for potted house plants, in my dishes of sand with huge swords in them, for a year and a half now.  All is well, swords and other plants grow like weeds in the pool filter sand with sticks in them.  I add them every 2-3 mo. Most are in my discus tank but other tanks have a few too.
Barb

Mugwump

I looked at the sticks too....it might be an even better option down the line. I'll see how the granules do...I mix them in water and pour it in....
Jon

ilroost

Never thought about the sticks. That would seem to be a better option for people who use pots in their tank

LizStreithorst

I'm sure the granules will do a great job in a tank without fish.  It's a far cry from slowly dissolving sticks under the root system to dumping mineral salts into the water column with fish in the tanks.  When you decide to do it in a tank with plants AND valuable fish let me know how it works.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 11, 2013, 08:22:11 PM
I'm sure the granules will do a great job in a tank without fish.  It's a far cry from slowly dissolving sticks under the root system to dumping mineral salts into the water column with fish in the tanks.  When you decide to do it in a tank with plants AND valuable fish let me know how it works.

I'll trumpet the event here. I know several folks that are using the granules, and now one that uses it in stick form. While the granules may sound more instataneous, and then dilute out, the sticks are delivering the same elements constantly. However, it seems neither has harmed fish. 
Jon