• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 08:43:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 579
Total: 579

Switching to RO mix

Started by EdKaz, April 14, 2014, 08:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdKaz

So now that I have things kinda in order, Im wanting to start using and RO mix for at least some of my pairs.
Currently they are swimming in liqui rock......TDS in the 400's , and PH at 8plus.

So what will stress the fish out the least.......drain each tank 1/2 way and just add RO to top it back off over a couple hours or so.......or fill em back up with a 50 50 mix, and keep adding the 50 50 mix  a gal or two at a time after cleaning up the bottoms over a period of a week or two, until the water finally drops and stays in the 150/180 range?

Mugwump

Quote from: EdKaz on April 14, 2014, 08:03:38 PM
So now that I have things kinda in order, Im wanting to start using and RO mix for at least some of my pairs.
Currently they are swimming in liqui rock......TDS in the 400's , and PH at 8plus.

So what will stress the fish out the least.......drain each tank 1/2 way and just add RO to top it back off over a couple hours or so.......or fill em back up with a 50 50 mix, and keep adding the 50 50 mix  a gal or two at a time after cleaning up the bottoms over a period of a week or two, until the water finally drops and stays in the 150/180 range?

I'd do the 50/50 mix with the water changes....continuing over a week or two.....I guess you could drip acclimate them over hours too....quicker.....just like getting new angels....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

QuoteI'd do the 50/50 mix with the water changes....continuing over a week or two

My thoughts on that way, were that the water wouldnt be stable over the week or two. Smaller changes on a daily basis, but adding a lil RO mix, and the water changes.......fish have to acclimate daily (albeit slightly).
The daily change/acclimate, might stress em out more than a drip it in and be done in a day?

Mugwump

..best to go the safe route, I guess.....no hurry anyway..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I just got done doing the same thing. The first 25% water change was straight ro water. It did stress the fish but they did ok. After that I mixed the ro water. I got the tds to 150ppm then did 25% water changes. I keep doing the normal water change schedule until the tanks tds was at 150ppm. They seem to do better with doing it a little at a time.
Scott