• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 02:32:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 547
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 539
Total: 539

Thinking caps on please

Started by LizStreithorst, December 25, 2015, 03:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

This is my draining pump.  Back when my connections were all 3/4" slip/slip PVC there was no problem with sticking the end of the hose in a tank, pulling apart the section of the pipe from the coupling on the intake end of the pump, and giving it a suck to get the pump primed, the water flowing and sticking it back together.  Now that my connections are 1" threaded I still do it this way but it is a pain and I generally end up with water on the floor. 

It seems to me that I should be able to make something out of PVC that will always keep this pump primed.  I somehow need to add a big can of water on top of the out flow that would always hold water inside the pump.  I'm sure that this is possible, but although I have looked at it for a long time, I can't quite wrap my head around how to do it.  Any suggestions?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 25, 2015, 03:54:31 PM
This is my draining pump.  Back when my connections were all 3/4" slip/slip PVC there was no problem with sticking the end of the hose in a tank, pulling apart the section of the pipe from the coupling on the intake end of the pump, and giving it a suck to get the pump primed, the water flowing and sticking it back together.  Now that my connections are 1" threaded I still do it this way but it is a pain and I generally end up with water on the floor. 

It seems to me that I should be able to make something out of PVC that will always keep this pump primed.  I somehow need to add a big can of water on top of the out flow that would always hold water inside the pump.  I'm sure that this is possible, but although I have looked at it for a long time, I can't quite wrap my head around how to do it.  Any suggestions?

make a pvc 'T' to mount on the intake, the a vertical piece about 10" vertical off the 'T' to a bulk head fitting in the bottom of a gallon bucket with a valve in between...on the other part of your 'T' attach your siphon hose.....fill your bucket with water....put hose in the tank....start your pump..open the valve that will let the water down to prime your pump....shut valve before the buckets empty.....your siphon hose should be running......if you have a valve close the the tank hose portion, you can close/open when moving tank to tank and not lose siphon.......

....all it'll take each water change is a gallon of water to start/prime the initial first tank...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Not what I have in mind.  I don't want to need a gallon of water.  I'm thinking of hooking something to the output side that always holds water inside the pump.  I'm starting to see it in my head more clearly.  It involves putting a making the pipe going outside longer and making a U in it with 90 degree fittings, putting a T in the middle, attaching a 1"pipe to the top of it and expanding it to piece of really big PVC and capping it.  That way there will always be water in the pump and waste water will still go outside. 

I hope that made sense.  I kinda have a picture in my mind but it's not fully formed.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 25, 2015, 06:26:52 PM
Not what I have in mind.  I don't want to need a gallon of water.  I'm thinking of hooking something to the output side that always holds water inside the pump.  I'm starting to see it in my head more clearly.  It involves putting a making the pipe going outside longer and making a U in it with 90 degree fittings, putting a T in the middle, attaching a 1"pipe to the top of it and expanding it to piece of really big PVC and capping it.  That way there will always be water in the pump and waste water will still go outside. 

I hope that made sense.  I kinda have a picture in my mind but it's not fully formed.

Some of the bigger pumps have a big nut on top for adding primer water before using....You mention the 'output' side...that would not necessarily leave much water in the pump itself...?....my thinking was the water passing 'thru' the pump is what does the priming..?. so feeding the pump does more to get the flow going......but I'm no engineer either... w!w
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I had a fine ass swimming pool pump that I picked up for a song that had that.  I used it for pumping aged water in.  It was a beast.  It disappeared while it was in storage in my barn back when I first moved back home.  My extension ladder disappeared as well.  Unfortunately, I'm quite sure I know who did it :(  I'm thinking about something along the same line but made with plumbing.

I'm glad I decided to ask.  When I talk about it I get a clearer picture in my head of I want.  I'm going to do it when I can picture all the details.  If it doesn't work I'll have a good time trying.

BillT

A common approach with bigger pumps is to have a basket strainer in a sealed container just upstream of the pump and fill that before you start the pump. It might hold a 1/2 G of water.

The easiest solution would be to use a bulkhead fitting from where you are pumping so the impeller is always flooded. I am thinking this won't work for you for a variety of reasons though.

My interpretation of your idea is that a long length of plumbing (containing water) downstream of the pump would keep the impeller flooded and therefore primed. Sounds like it should work but seems kinda of backwards since you reservoir of water is downstream rather than upstream from where the pump is drawing water from. Is there some reason you could not put the same length of flooded plumbing upstream of the pump rather than downstream? To me, it makes more sense to have this volume of water feeding the pump instead of providing resistance to its output.

LizStreithorst

I have to take my pump apart some times due to sucking up stuff that clogs it.  That will make putting it on the input a huge pain.  The output side goes straight up and yearns for a can of water on top of it to keep it primed  The output from my pump is level until it goes through out the wall to outside.  I think that I can make the priming apprentice in the level part. 

I think that I can do it my way.  I'm getting a clearer picture in my mind.  I wish I could draw a picture of how I think I can do it, but I can't draw and even if I could I wouldn't know how to post my drawing huh

GraphicGr8s

Two ways I see to solve your problem. First is to pipe your pump to house water with a valve. Let some water flow to prime the pump.

Second would be to make sure your outlet pipe is above the pump someplace outside. Drill a hole there at the top to break the siphon. Water remains in the pump and pipe up to that point.

If you disconnect the input hose you might want to add a check valve.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BallAquatics

Seems like a lot of trouble just to get it going.  Why not put a "T" on the suction side with a very short piece of smaller hose and a cap and then you could prime it just like you always did.  No extra hose or water containment, etc.

Dennis

Mugwump

..ever get this hooked up like you want ??
Jon

LizStreithorst

No, but as I was doing WC last night I figured out how to do it.  I'll buy the PVC connectios next time I'm at the hardware store

LizStreithorst

I dreamed about this all night last night ???  Call me crazy because I am.  I spent $40. on PVC and I'm not even sure that it will work.  I'm almost sure huh  Now to get up the guts to actually do it.  Y'all know how much I hate trying and failing...If it works as I envision I will be quite pleased with myself even though I could have done it for little cost if I'd done what Dennis suggested.  I couldn't help myself.  It was stuck in my head and I couldn't get it out.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 09, 2016, 01:02:40 PM
I dreamed about this all night last night ???  Call me crazy because I am.  I spent $40. on PVC and I'm not even sure that it will work.  I'm almost sure huh  Now to get up the guts to actually do it.  Y'all know how much I hate trying and failing...If it works as I envision I will be quite pleased with myself even though I could have done it for little cost if I'd done what Dennis suggested.  I couldn't help myself.  It was stuck in my head and I couldn't get it out.

Sure it'll work....now git 'er done  8)    and pics too w!w
Jon

LizStreithorst

If I don't do it tomorrow it will be because I'm a sissy girl.  Pics for sure.

LizStreithorst

It works.  Now all I need to do is glue it together.