• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 09:26:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 527
Total: 527

Matten Hamburg Filters

Started by Ron Sower, April 06, 2015, 01:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Anyone here using them?  I've been paying attention to information about them for 3 or more years now and am thinking about setting one up in my 65g when I set it up. I always see them set up at the ends of the tanks. I want to set it up across the back of the tank. My theory is that it will provide much more surface area for bacterial colonies. I'll be trying to call Steve? at Swiss to talk with him about doing that. I will also be putting some slits in the foam and inserting Anubias and Javas to grow into it. I've don that with some pre-filter foams and it worked out great.

I would like to hear from any of you with your thoughts.  :)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 06, 2015, 01:27:54 AM
Anyone here using them?  I've been paying attention to information about them for 3 or more years now and am thinking about setting one up in my 65g when I set it up. I always see them set up at the ends of the tanks. I want to set it up across the back of the tank. My theory is that it will provide much more surface area for bacterial colonies. I'll be trying to call Steve? at Swiss to talk with him about doing that. I will also be putting some slits in the foam and inserting Anubias and Javas to grow into it. I've don that with some pre-filter foams and it worked out great.

I would like to hear from any of you with your thoughts.  :)

Well, we have a couple threads here.....

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com//index.php?topic=1052.msg32214#msg32214

and here...

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com//index.php?topic=2698.msg23216#msg23216

There's a few here using them now, I think....Dennis??

It's a very good subject to keep going....I'm not aware of any changes, or improvements to the system, but there are a lot of 'knock-offs' showing up now...we even had a guy selling foam, etc at the last swap here....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

I have an HMF in my 90 gallon Dantum tank. It runs across the short end of the tank...been running for two years and is doing a fine job with water clarity. Dr. Tanner gave me all the advice and instructions needed to set it up.

I believe it's the thickness of the foam that gives you the bio population that is needed for a particular sized tank. Dennis or Dr. Tanner will be the ones to tell you about the advantages of using a sheet across the entire back of the tank. It would look nice all planted though.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

BillT

I have some set up in some tanks.
All mine are cross-wise not length-wise like you mentioned.
They work fine and require less maintenance than many other filters.
I would consider one across the back of the tank overkill in most situations.
Since the material Tanner sells is not cheap (but is very good quality), I would spread it around in other tanks or spend less money rather than put more in a single tank.

When I was last in the Wet Spot (Portland, OR) I was looking at the MHF they have in their tanks.
Many of them had a lot of small plant things growing on them and did not look much like a sponge filter.
I guess they would have to clean them when they get so clogged the water won't flow through any more.

The only problem I have had where I used MHF's to divide a tank to hold separate populations of fish.
Here I have a small hole where the filter was not completely up against the side of the tank. Some fish (Danios) got through.
I have also have some jump the partition in a tank that was not optimally covered (down to the partition).
These are not really problems with the filter though.

Ron Sower

Thank you all for your input. I was paying attention to the HMFs at the WetSpot a couple weeks ago when I was there. I must be efficient for them to be using them in all their tanks.

If I put the filter across the back of the tank, a 48" span, I do plan to use 2-4 lifts to keep the water moving. One of the things I've learned recently is that I don't want a high speed water turnover in order to give the bacteria time to do their thing. That's truly a statement geared toward biological filtration, not mechanical. 

I just sent Stephan an email. It appears he's going to be away for a while, so I can wait for his reply.

Thanks again you guys!

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 06, 2015, 01:02:12 PM
.... I was paying attention to the HMFs at the WetSpot a couple weeks ago when I was there......

Stephan and Steve, (from the WetSpot), are very good friends.  I'm sure their filters are of Stephan's making.....

Dennis

BillT

QuoteStephan and Steve, (from the WetSpot), are very good friends.  I'm sure their filters are of Stephan's making.....

I talked with Steve before I got mine and that is true Dennis.

Ron Sower

Has anyone used the Tower Block Filters from Stephan? Any reports on them? Are they as effective as the Matten Hamburgs?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on September 26, 2015, 11:06:34 AM
Has anyone used the Tower Block Filters from Stephan? Any reports on them? Are they as effective as the Matten Hamburgs?

I found this....he'll be in Oregon....soon..

"We are visiting the wetspot in OR between Sep 29-Oct 4, 2015. No shipping during this time. As always feel free to place your order and I ship promptly after my return. Thanks for your patience!"
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on September 26, 2015, 11:26:55 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on September 26, 2015, 11:06:34 AM

I found this....he'll be in Oregon....soon..

"We are visiting the Wetspot in OR between Sep 29-Oct 4, 2015. No shipping during this time. As always feel free to place your order and I ship promptly after my return. Thanks for your patience!"

I saw that too. Was thinking about a trip to Wet Spot. 3 hour drive each way for me. A long day trip. Did it in the spring with the fellow I'm taking the fish to today.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BillT

QuoteHas anyone used the Tower Block Filters from Stephan? Any reports on them? Are they as effective as the Matten Hamburgs?

I think I am using some if you mean a cubical block of his foam with an air lift.
Works fine for me.
Easier to set up and clean.
A more intrusive look in the aquarium.
Less surface area in the smaller amount of foam, so less biofilitration capacity.

Ron Sower

Quote from: BillT on September 26, 2015, 01:48:33 PM
QuoteHas anyone used the Tower Block Filters from Stephan? Any reports on them? Are they as effective as the Matten Hamburgs?

I think I am using some if you mean a cubical block of his foam with an air lift.
Works fine for me.
Easier to set up and clean.
A more intrusive look in the aquarium.
Less surface area in the smaller amount of foam, so less biofilitration capacity.

Bill, What size tank/s to you use it/them in? And what size filter/s?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BillT

I have some in a couple of 10's and a 20.
I also have one in a 80 G plastic tub (no way to put a MHF in it due to its shape).

I like I bought one of his (Steven Tanner) cubes with a hole in it. I also got a much longer piece (the other dimensions the same) that I cut cubes off with a knife and then cut a hole in it and make an air lift tube and stick it in.

In reality the filter size should be scaled to the amount of food going in. That's what the bacteria take care of.
Except for 2 species, I have small fish (danios), so unless I over feed, a small bio-load on the filter.

I suppose I could make a double tall cube filter in this way but I would probably want to put holes in the side of the airlift tube higher up to suck water through the higher up parts of the foam.

Ron Sower

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do the filtration using the Poret foam in my display community tank in our den where we spend most of our leisure time. Either the curved pieces in the corners or the towers in the corners. You have any thoughts on this?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron