• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 06:40:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 799
  • Online ever: 799
  • (Today at 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 547
Total: 547

Need BN advice please

Started by Barb, November 18, 2015, 05:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Hi all, I have my first pair of BN's, from Jon.  They have spawned, almost right after I got them.  The male albino and the female brown.  He has been in the cave for over a week, the female is out, and today I just saw a tiny baby inside the cave, using a flashlight.  It is about 1/2" long, they must grow fast.  What do I do?  What and when do I feed them?  He is blocking the opening of the cave, one of my huts, so they can't get out.  What  are they eating?  They are in my 75 gal planted discus tank.  Just a little sand on the bottom.  He has cleared away all sand from around the front of his cave.   It is fun to watch, just wondering what if anything I should do?  Let nature take it's course is my plan, I think.
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on November 18, 2015, 05:29:40 PM
Hi all, I have my first pair of BN's, from Jon.  They have spawned, almost right after I got them.  The male albino and the female brown.  He has been in the cave for over a week, the female is out, and today I just saw a tiny baby inside the cave, using a flashlight.  It is about 1/2" long, they must grow fast.  What do I do?  What and when do I feed them?  He is blocking the opening of the cave, one of my huts, so they can't get out.  What  are they eating?  They are in my 75 gal planted discus tank.  Just a little sand on the bottom.  He has cleared away all sand from around the front of his cave.   It is fun to watch, just wondering what if anything I should do?  Let nature take it's course is my plan, I think.
Barb

Yes, Dad raises the fry and will release them when he feels they are ready......you can feed crushed pellet then....my suggestion is to lift Dad/cave out to a smaller tank..even bare bottom.....because the Discus are going to pick off most of them when the start moving around the tank...After they are released by Dad...you can shake out the rest and return Dad/cave back yo the origin tank...

If you have any algae covered rocks, you can put them in the other yank too.....a slice of zucchini or cucumber can be sunk for them using an old fork..pierce and plop....micro worms and even bbs is good in the early stages....Capt'n Bob makes some great pleco food in many sizes...perhaps he'll chime in with a suggestion??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on November 18, 2015, 06:00:46 PM
Barb

Yes, Dad raises the fry and will release them when he feels they are ready......you can feed crushed pellet then....my suggestion is to lift Dad/cave out to a smaller tank..even bare bottom.....because the Discus are going to pick off most of them when the start moving around the tank...After they are released by Dad...you can shake out the rest and return Dad/cave back yo the origin tank...

If you have any algae covered rocks, you can put them in the other yank too.....a slice of zucchini or cucumber can be sunk for them using an old fork..pierce and plop....micro worms and even bbs is good in the early stages....Capt'n Bob makes some great pleco food in many sizes...perhaps he'll chime in with a suggestion??

I basically do the same thing. I move the male and the cave into a five gallon tank and when he releases a bunch of them I shake out the rest. I may leave him in there a day or two before I move him and the cave back.

I have fry already eating zucchini that left a cave 2 days ago.  At times when I didn't pull the caves I can see the Angels hanging out by the cave opening waiting for what I assume is a tasty treat.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 18, 2015, 06:32:07 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on November 18, 2015, 06:00:46 PM
Barb

I basically do the same thing. I move the male and the cave into a five gallon tank and when he releases a bunch of them I shake out the rest. I may leave him in there a day or two before I move him and the cave back.

I have fry already eating zucchini that left a cave 2 days ago.  At times when I didn't pull the caves I can see the Angels hanging out by the cave opening waiting for what I assume is a tasty treat.

Yeppers....'fillets of BN fry'....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

Thanks guys, the discus tank is heavily planted, with a ton of plants growing on lots of wood.  Plenty of algae on the wood and some left on the leaves.  There are so many places the fry could hide and eat, for now I guess I will leave them all in the big tank and see what happens.  There is one little Endler fry in there, the discus ignore it.  Will let you know how it goes.  I can always set up another tank another time.  For now, no time for any more tanks.  Thanks!
Barb

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on November 18, 2015, 06:50:36 PM
Thanks guys, the discus tank is heavily planted, with a ton of plants growing on lots of wood.  Plenty of algae on the wood and some left on the leaves.  There are so many places the fry could hide and eat, for now I guess I will leave them all in the big tank and see what happens.  There is one little Endler fry in there, the discus ignore it.  Will let you know how it goes.  I can always set up another tank another time.  For now, no time for any more tanks.  Thanks!
Barb

I usually get a survivor or two when I don't remove the cave so you still may see some as they get bigger and come out from hiding.
Willie

LizStreithorst

Congrats and good luck with them in the Discus tank. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: Barb on November 18, 2015, 06:50:36 PM
Thanks guys, the discus tank is heavily planted, with a ton of plants growing on lots of wood.  Plenty of algae on the wood and some left on the leaves. 

With that set-up you should get some survivors.  Maybe just the right amount!  I'm sure to don't want to over-run with the little blighter's  LOL

Dennis

Barb

Very true Dennis.  I only have a few, to keep down the algae, so I really don't need too many more.  I  have no place to sell/give any young.  I have no time for any additional tanks or fish tank work these days.  I need a day to be much longer so I can get more done around here.  But I need sleep too...
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on November 19, 2015, 07:12:10 AM
Very true Dennis.  I only have a few, to keep down the algae, so I really don't need too many more.  I  have no place to sell/give any young.  I have no time for any additional tanks or fish tank work these days.  I need a day to be much longer so I can get more done around here.  But I need sleep too...
Barb

..then letting nature take it's course is the best thing to do.....take care of yourself Barb...
Jon

Rjb3

I would add baby carrots to the tank. Split them in half end to end. They sink without weights and don't foul the water.

wsantia1

Quote from: Rjb3 on November 19, 2015, 07:33:06 AM
I would add baby carrots to the tank. Split them in half end to end. They sink without weights and don't foul the water.

I am going to have to try that. |^| |^| |^| Thanks
Willie

Rjb3

Give them a chance to recognize it as food.

I also use strips of slate rock with multiple rubber bands around them. Stick the stems of raw spinach leaves under the rubber bands. You can put a bunch of them on one 5" X 1" piece of slate. You will be amazed.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on November 19, 2015, 08:00:50 AM
Give them a chance to recognize it as food.

I also use strips of slate rock with multiple rubber bands around them. Stick the stems of raw spinach leaves under the rubber bands. You can put a bunch of them on one 5" X 1" piece of slate. You will be amazed.

..unsalted french cut green beans too.....carrots work, but not all like them....about any of the squash family works too..

I used to use the rocks/slate/rubber band....but we found a whole pile of old forks....pierce and plop....easy peasy...
Jon