• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 21, 2024, 02:03:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,359
  • Total Topics: 18,544
  • Online today: 782
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 760
Total: 760

A trip to the emergency vet.

Started by LizStreithorst, September 04, 2017, 03:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Finally a bit of good news.  We went to the vet and the injury was looking much better! 

Cha cha's previous owner visited her yesterday and brought a tube of colloidal silver gel.  She swore by it but she's something of a quack.  I figured that it couldn't hurt and might help so I slathered some on twice yesterday.  That's the only thing I did differently.  The vet said although she has had no experience with it for me to keep it up.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on September 14, 2017, 01:00:39 PM
As worrisome as pets are, believe me when I say kids are multiple times worse.  And you know what I am talking about, right?
Barb

|^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on September 14, 2017, 04:49:51 PM
Quote from: Barb on September 14, 2017, 01:00:39 PM
As worrisome as pets are, believe me when I say kids are multiple times worse.  And you know what I am talking about, right?
Barb

|^|

+1
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I can't believe it.  I took the cone off to allow Chachie to eat without making a huge mess.  She didn't immediately go for the suture line as she always had.  I had to be there while she ate so I could turn her head back to the food when she went for her.   I doctored the wound with the quack stuff.  She whimpered, but she didn't scream.  She didn't turn to lick the injury.  It took her a bit to realize that she had her peripheral vision back.  That was interesting for me.  I should have expected it, but I didn't.  Then she jumped on her bed which I keep on top of two fish boxes and has peaceful since.  Thank you God or the Fates, or my good luck for this sudden turnaround. 

She's still wearing the flat color when she defeated her 15" cone which I didn't tell you about because all I ever gave you was more bad news...the collar is just like these.  They don't for in most situations but they do in a few.  It's good for a vet to keep some for when they're needed.  They're letting me borrow this one because they trust me.  http://www.practicalpaw.com/wp-content/uploads/41yEK7uACL.jpg

I think I'll let her sleep cone-less tonight.  If she turns and licks I will feel it and hear it.  She sleeps on the bed right next to me.  The cone will be on the bed side table if I need it.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 15, 2017, 08:07:58 PM
I can't believe it.  I took the cone off to allow Chachie to eat without making a huge mess.  She didn't immediately go for the suture line as she always had.  I had to be there while she ate so I could turn her head back to the food when she went for her.   I doctored the wound with the quack stuff.  She whimpered, but she didn't scream.  She didn't turn to lick the injury.  It took her a bit to realize that she had her peripheral vision back.  That was interesting for me.  I should have expected it, but I didn't.  Then she jumped on her bed which I keep on top of two fish boxes and has peaceful since.  Thank you God or the Fates, or my good luck for this sudden turnaround. 

She's still wearing the flat color when she defeated her 15" cone which I didn't tell you about because all I ever gave you was more bad news...the collar is just like these.  They don't for in most situations but they do in a few.  It's good for a vet to keep some for when they're needed.  They're letting me borrow this one because they trust me.  http://www.practicalpaw.com/wp-content/uploads/41yEK7uACL.jpg

I think I'll let her sleep cone-less tonight.  If she turns and licks I will feel it and hear it.  She sleeps on the bed right next to me.  The cone will be on the bed side table if I need it.

... |^|....good
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 15, 2017, 08:07:58 PM

Well, Liz, how did it go?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

She did great until around 4 am. when I felt her turn and heard her lick,  I put it back on then but at least she had several hours of not having to wear the damn thing.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 17, 2017, 08:44:28 AM
She did great until around 4 am. when I felt her turn and heard her lick,  I put it back on then but at least she had several hours of not having to wear the damn thing.

..isn't there a topical that will stop the itching a bit ?.....even Bactine spray helps with insect bite itching....and it might work.... huh
Jon

LizStreithorst

She's going back to the vet tomorrow so they can clean the wound and check on how she's progressing,  I'll ask.  Right now her e collars are off and she's leaving it alone but I don't dare take my eyes off her.

LizStreithorst

Does this not beat all?  I've been wanting to bathe Chachie but I know that I shouldn't until she's well healed.  So what does she do yesterday?  I'm out feeding the dots and snots in the container outside.  Cha Cha is with me, or course.  She leaps into the container where I grow my mosquito larvae and swims around in the green water that is full of decaying leaves.  Then this morning as I'm loading the dish washer she gets into the water bowl and wallows around in it.  If she's doing things like that I don't guess a bath will do her any harm.  What a dog...

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 17, 2017, 11:16:22 AM
Does this not beat all?  I've been wanting to bathe Chachie but I know that I shouldn't until she's well healed.  So what does she do yesterday?  I'm out feeding the dots and snots in the container outside.  Cha Cha is with me, or course.  She leaps into the container where I grow my mosquito larvae and swims around in the green water that is full of decaying leaves.  Then this morning as I'm loading the dish washer she gets into the water bowl and wallows around in it.  If she's doing things like that I don't guess a bath will do her any harm.  What a dog...

..she's trying anything to stop that itch...but if the sutures are 'gut'...they may shrink....?
Jon

LizStreithorst

she has some staples and some sutures.  The sutures are something man made, not gut.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 17, 2017, 11:44:09 AM
she has some staples and some sutures.  The sutures are something man made, not gut.

...bathe away..... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

Cha Cha woke up with me this morning.  We went to feed the fish.  She immediately jumped into the mosquito container and had a nice swim in the nasty water.  The swim always makes the injury feel better.  She was sleeping hard when it was time to go to the vet.  In the car she managed to get her 3-collar off.  If there is a way, she will find it.  Thank God she did no damage.  When she got home she jumped into the water bowl and wallowed ar

The wound is healing well but the itching is driving both of us crazy.  I asked Karen about something to ease the itching.  She said that steroids would help but we couldn't use them.  She said that the solution would be to board her if I could afford it, which I can't. (well, I could if it was really necessary for my sanity.  It's not.  I'd rather suffer)  Even though Karen told me not to, I stopped and picked up a bottle of gel with lidocane which also has a topical steroid in it.

She woke up when I got up from her long hard nap after her dip in the water bowl.  When we went out to watch the chickens I put the anti-itch gel on it even against instructions from a real vet.  She's sleeping again, thank God.  I know that she's as worn out over this as much as I am.  I will use the banned product only when she starts going crazy.  I hope I only have to use it once a day.

Long...sorry...

Mugwump

..if she feels better use it.....you both need the rest.. 8)
Jon