• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 20, 2024, 10:20:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 67
Total: 67

FREE Swimming

Started by GeorgeG, January 24, 2015, 07:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeG

These wigglers went free swimming and I went and fed them this morning with some 50 Micron Golden Pearls. The Parents PB Albino and female Black are taking good care of watching over them and this is their first time with fry.  8)

I do not think this female has Gold and the only recent blacks I got the last year were from David Carlson but we will see.

Mugwump

.....congrat's......Myself, I like bbs, and use the golden pearls only in a pinch, or as an extra food on occasion....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GeorgeG

I messed up and did not start the Brine Shrimp in time for the first feeding but I needed to get something in their stomachs.

Mugwump

Quote from: GeorgeG on January 24, 2015, 07:39:31 AM
I messed up and did not start the Brine Shrimp in time for the first feeding but I needed to get something in their stomachs.

...been there too.....ever try micro worms??   love em, handy and easy to keep..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GeorgeG

I did try them years ago while breeding Betta's. Betta's are too much work.

GeorgeG

Still going strong with these first time parents. When they get a little bigger I will try and get some photos here

Mugwump

Quote from: GeorgeG on January 26, 2015, 07:07:11 AM
Still going strong with these first time parents. When they get a little bigger I will try and get some photos here

That makes your morning doesn't it..... ;D   
Jon

GeorgeG

Yes they are their 3rd day swimming.

PaulineMi

Sounds like you're on your way to success.   ;)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

GeorgeG

I have this pair a DD Black and a Philippine Blue Albino. The first spawn has grown out very well with about a 50/50 split in color. I am wondering if someone has a Genetic Calculator and tell me what the fry will turn out to be. Since there is a nice group of Blacks in the bunch I am thinking if I grow them out and pair them together would I get Albino Black fry from them. And what will I get from what looks like PB fry but you can see black in them also. I wonder so I can figure out how many to keep for myself and sell the rest or just cull them. The pair is on it's second spawn.
Thanks
George

Mugwump

Looks like 'hets' across the board...they'll all look like Silver lace....(.D/+)...unless something else is in there??..

D/D - Black(dd)
pb/pb - a/a - Blue Albino

fry will all be D/+ - +/pb - +/a - Black Lace (redundant)  Silver lace...
Jon

GeorgeG

Thank you, I guess I wait and grow a few out and see what happens with their fry.

Mugwump

Quote from: GeorgeG on March 30, 2015, 07:14:28 AM
Thank you, I guess I wait and grow a few out and see what happens with their fry.

I'd grow as many as possible because if there are other genes working, they will be in low percentages.....you might not even see the subtle differences til bigger....it'd be a shame to miss a trophy fry..... ;D
Jon

JC

My guess is the DD is really a hybrid black D/g since he's seeing light and dark fry. The dark would be black lace and the light color silvers

Mugwump

Quote from: JC on March 30, 2015, 07:51:38 AM
My guess is the DD is really a hybrid black D/g since he's seeing light and dark fry. The dark would be black lace and the light color silvers

Keep in mind that the Albino a/a could mask a D gene as well....gold??....very possible both carry the gold...making for 25% each of....

g/g - +/pb - +/a - Gold
+/g - +/pb - +/a - Silver
D/g - +/pb - +/a - Hybrid Black
D/+ - +/pb - +/a - Black Lace

Jon