• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 03:53:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,347
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 872
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 838
Total: 838

A question about conformation

Started by LizStreithorst, January 11, 2014, 02:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: Owl307 on January 11, 2014, 10:15:23 PM
thats quite an extreme notch. i had a breeder in chicago show me the indention like that on platinums and he said it was notches, said its hard to breed out of the line.. everyone has different ideas and opinions i guess, i personally dont like it

The breeder should have known that You can't breed out a deformity like a notch, it's still there until it rears it's ugly head in a future generation. He's slinging around the word notch pretty loosely. .....but if it was a Plat, that he referred to..likely it was Pearscale which have ventral, and body issues, when trying to grow..they can be football shaped, under developed....but they are not notched. Some other lines may experience similar looks. These are over bred, or caused by line breeding that has been over extended...weak gene pool.
   After viewing Liz's Angel pic, it still looks like it's 'hump' related, it's a smooth feature, not a nick, or notch(you'll know a notch when you see one) ...the protein isn't being distributed in a uniform manner when forming the nuchal hump. In her case, out crossing to another HB line, or a Silver cross into her line, and bred back out. would get the shape she's looking for....there are few expressing HB lines out there....I think that most are very closely related...thus some may not be up to snuff
As for liking it...'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'....that's what selective breeding is all about...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson