• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 05:02:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 590
Total: 590

Api Filstar

Started by JR, September 13, 2014, 10:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

Has anybody used these canister filters. My grandson brought me 2 in yesterday. They say it will do up to a 175 gal tank. Never used one before.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

It seems to be a popular unit...here's a setup vid about them...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I'm using the filstar and fluval 405 on my 155 gallon. It does a good job.  I think it's better than the fluval 405. It's better built and easy to take apart.  I keep breaking the clips on the 405. I don't think it would do a 175 gallon tank . It's rated close to the fluval 406 and that filter was rated for a 100 gallon tank.
Scott

EdKaz

I have a #3 on a CROWDED 90gal tank, loaded up each section/basket with sponges........works a charm, EASY  to maintain

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on September 13, 2014, 10:38:41 AM
I'm using the filstar and fluval 405 on my 155 gallon. It does a good job.  I think it's better than the fluval 405. It's better built and easy to take apart.  I keep breaking the clips on the 405. I don't think it would do a 175 gallon tank . It's rated close to the fluval 406 and that filter was rated for a 100 gallon tank.

His must be the API Filstar XP L Canister Filter....it's rated up to 175 gallons...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

They both are the XPL. When I set my 75 gal up in a few weeks I will try one. I have always used the fluval.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Ron Sower

I use several different models and love them. With the special siphon connection it seems to be much easier to start than most of the others. At least for me.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

b125killer

You'll like it over the fluval.  The impeller cover on the fluval is a poor design.  I keep breaking it. Both my fluval have broken covers. I got tired of replacing them. The filstar is a screw on cover.
Scott