• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 06:36:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 482
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 483
Total: 483

"World Angelfish Forum"

Started by Mugwump, July 08, 2014, 06:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...has closed. It's a sad day when an old angelfish forum goes under. Some of us here spent many an hour chatting, laughing, arguing, learning, teaching, amongst a bunch of wonderful folks. Pete and Deb were a couple of the most caring people that I have ever met in my life. They loved the hobby, the angels, the people, and life. Pete left us way to early, and the forum took a hit that was not to be recovered from, ever. The place died a slow death, and took with it such a wealth of knowledge that can, now, never be retrieved. Those discussions were priceless, as are the friendships made there.
R I P "World Angelfish Forum"....we will not forget you.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on July 08, 2014, 06:31:14 AM
...has closed. It's a sad day when an old angelfish forum goes under. Some of us here spent many an hour chatting, laughing, arguing, learning, teaching, amongst a bunch of wonderful folks. Pete and Deb were a couple of the most caring people that I have ever met in my life. They loved the hobby, the angels, the people, and life. Pete left us way to early, and the forum took a hit that was not to be recovered from, ever. The place died a slow death, and took with it such a wealth of knowledge that can, now, never be retrieved. Those discussions were priceless, as are the friendships made there.

I'm very sorry to hear about this.  I joined up late in the game but found a wealth of information reading those old post.  Sad to see it go.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

I never before thought about how so much valuable information can just dissappear with the loss of a forum. That is a sad situation.  We tend to consider technology progress, a convenience, when in truth it is quite fragile in many ways.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Barb

Yes, that is a real shame.  Jon, are there any members there, that you know, who might like to join us here?  There are a  lot of us here who keep angels and there is always plenty of angel talk.   What do you think?
Barb

Mugwump

The past crew are scattered around different sites...TAS, here, facebook, etc....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

Quote from: Mugwump on July 08, 2014, 06:31:14 AM

That was where we first sight that lori and I met You and Jan, Peter and Deb oh the banter and all that information that was on there, after Peter left this world it all went down hill, I remember donating to help keep it going a few years back.  I even asked Deb if she would even sell me the sight. Never the less we will have to carry on here in the memory of that forum... Thank Mugzy for start up this sight.   This group is allot like the family that we had over there... hate to see it go...   
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

EverythingAquatic

I wasn't a part of that forum.  But have to ask....why would it's owners not share the forum posts with another site?  Then the knowledge would remain accessible.

Mugwump

Quote from: EverythingAquatic on July 09, 2014, 02:07:36 AM
I wasn't a part of that forum.  But have to ask....why would it's owners not share the forum posts with another site?  Then the knowledge would remain accessible.

Dena, the site is closed, the provider fees weren't paid and the host shut it down. The posts are lost. It was always open to one and all....it rivaled TAS in posts/membership......the threads were lively and uncensored....debate was wild and informative...we visited with each other on trips...had folks phone numbers, and knew the kids names of folks, pet names too....when TAS poo poo'd the PB gene initially, Pete, Ken, etal started our own recognition of it. A university study was started, test crosses were done....and the fish were shared. It was through the forum that the first PB's were set up for import to the states. The pb gene had a long, and bitter, fight moving towards it's TAS acceptance. The topics discussed included South America geography, rivers, terrains, capture sights, import/export cities, river water properties at different sites, and much more..sometimes it was even like school....LOL....am I rambling here, yep guess so....the good memories come back easily....
-
'Share' ?...I remember when TAS got in a tizzy over pictures, and discussion, over phenotype on TAS2...How many forums do you think might want to share their data base posts with another? or pass on the info upon demise?.....can't think of a one, unless someone want to grab what's here...and 'google' bots are doing that...LOL
-
Jon

BillT

Pete Cottle, who runs the Danios and Devarios website has made a book out of his website in order to perpetuate it in some way. However his site is not a forum but more like a species catalog. I don't think that approach would work too well with a forum format. Much more rambling and much less concise.

I think there is a killifish guy who also wants to do this.

The DIY guy (Joey) has also made a book of some of his website (which is more of a forum set-up). However, I think it is an edited version where only a handful and topics are in the book.

pwsusi

Sorry to bump a 3 year old post, but regarding The World Angelfish Forum all is not completely lost. I helped Deb setup the forum and used to maintain it for her. I had gotten out of the hobby before things went silent over there and unfortunately Deb didn't ask (nor was it on my radar any longer) to login one more time at the end to take a back-up before the hosting company purged everything. The good news is that during the the forum's active days I did take back-ups occasionally. I looked on my server and sure enough I have one :). Unfortunately it's from 2007 so it's not going to have everything, but certainly better than nothing. If there's still interest I'm sure we could do something with the data so people could view all the great information posted there over the years.

Paul

Mugwump

Quote from: pwsusi on March 04, 2017, 07:38:04 PM
Sorry to bump a 3 year old post, but regarding The World Angelfish Forum all is not completely lost. I helped Deb setup the forum and used to maintain it for her. I had gotten out of the hobby before things went silent over there and unfortunately Deb didn't ask (nor was it on my radar any longer) to login one more time at the end to take a back-up before the hosting company purged everything. The good news is that during the the forum's active days I did take back-ups occasionally. I looked on my server and sure enough I have one :). Unfortunately it's from 2007 so it's not going to have everything, but certainly better than nothing. If there's still interest I'm sure we could do something with the data so people could view all the great information posted there over the years.

Paul

...that's music to my ears....wonderful news !....

Yes, I'd be all for it............Thanks Paul
Jon

LizStreithorst

Paul, you finally showed up! I'm honored to meet you.  Seems that you've been around the block more than once.
Always move forward. Never look back.

pwsusi

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 04, 2017, 07:53:27 PM
Paul, you finally showed up! I'm honored to meet you.  Seems that you've been around the block more than once.
Thank you. Yes I have been around the block a few times ... Might as well take another lap ;)

..that's music to my ears....wonderful news !....

Yes, I'd be all for it............Thanks Paul
I'm thinking we'd need to stand up a new vBulletin instance and import all the data...otherwise it's reading through mySQL scripts :(. I don't currently have a host to put it on. If someone has one that could be used that could work...otherwise i could probably set something up temporarily.

wsantia1

Yes Paul that's music to my ears. Thanks. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Paul, I still have, and use, the genetic calculator that you had.....great tool... |^|
Jon