• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 01:53:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 547
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 518
Total: 518

Work Today

Started by LizStreithorst, November 07, 2015, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Today I had my Mexican customer with a Shih Tzu.  She always comes walking in without an appointment because she speaks little English and the phone in English would be impossible for her.  The first time she came in the dog and been shaved a month or so before.  All she wanted was for me to fix his face.  I did it while she waited and charged her $8.  Two minutes of facing fixing can make a world of difference in the appearance of a dog.  I've done a bath, brush out, and tidy a few times since then.  The owner likes hair. 

This time the dog was matted on it's butt half and back legs too badly to brush out. I showed her when she dropped off.  She speaks little English and my Spanish sucks.  She understood that the hair would have to be cut but I doubt the understood how short I would have to go.  I fought through the coat with a number 7 blade which is pretty damn short but not as short as a 10 which most groomers would have used.

When she picked up I said, "lo siento ques es muy corto" which I thought meant I'm sorry that he is so short.  By her reaction I guess I said "sorry I cut him to shreds :-[  "  I said "NO!" and somehow made myself understood.  She said. "My husband might not like".  I said, "Wait, I will show you" and went to the trash and picked up a long wide matted piece of hair that was all stuck together.  She was shocked and understood.  Somehow she was able to ask using two poorly understood languages and something like sign language when she should bring the dog again.  I said, "dos mesas".  It will be for a bath, brush out and tidy.  I think that I made her understand that she needs to come "antes" (before) the mats form.  I sure hope this lady doesn't want her dog to have hair to the floor.  There are jobs for Mexicans down here, but only a fraction of a percent make any decent money.  The few who do are fluent in English.  If this lady wants hair to the floor the dog will need a bath and brush weekly.  I will teach her to do it herself and let her use my products and equipment before I make her pay me $32. every week for me to do it.

This is the first time since I opened my shop here close to 8 years ago that I wish I needed a helper.  I can tell that Senora Estrada would learn fast, learn by being shown, and  wants to learn.  We would both benefit from better understanding one another's languages.  She would be grateful to learn a marketable skill.  You have no idea how much an excellent bather/brusher is worth to a busy groomer in good location.  Alas, I have only enough business to support my own self.  An employee is out of the question.

Always move forward. Never look back.