• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 09:23:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,344
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 767
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 763
Total: 763

Please 'splain me this

Started by LizStreithorst, February 17, 2014, 08:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I understand that the shiny parts on the body of my Koi is due to the stripeless gene.  Why is the shiny only in patches?  Why does it not cover the entire body of the fish?

Mug, would you be kind enough to translate what my pair is in to Greek for me. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Gm/gm S/S..........the shiny iridescent splotches are random around the parts of the melanin layer that hold the expression.....hence mostly different on each angel....some may appear very similar, as in 'twins'..but they're actually not.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'm so ignorant that I had too look on the genetic calculator that gm means gold marble.  I see that it's an incomplete dominant.  Does that mean that of I were to breed a g to a Gm I would get a percentage of golds?  I don't want to do that.  I just want to make sure I'm thinking right.

From what you say there is no way to select for iridescence.  I figured as much.  If it could be done someone would have already done it.  Is there a word in Greek for the iridescence?  I doubt it.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 17, 2014, 08:57:50 PM
I'm so ignorant that I had too look on the genetic calculator that gm means gold marble.  I see that it's an incomplete dominant.  Does that mean that of I were to breed a g to a Gm I would get a percentage of golds?  I don't want to do that.  I just want to make sure I'm thinking right.

From what you say there is no way to select for iridescence.  I figured as much.  If it could be done someone would have already done it.  Is there a word in Greek for the iridescence?  I doubt it.

Yes, you can attempt to breed for more/less iridescence..with selective breeding... ;D

If you bred a (g) to a (gm)....you'd get...
25.00%   Gm/g Gold Marble
25.00%   Gm/+ Silver Gold Marble
25.00%   g/+ Silver
25.00%   +/+ Silver
remember gold in single dose is recessive....no expression ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson