• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 01:27:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 533
Total: 533

The World Health Organization's Most Dangerous Pathogens

Started by BillT, December 14, 2015, 07:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

But what with the weird weather all over the world they may well spread.  If you read of any more research going on regarding these diseases please let me know.  I love this stuff.  In another life I might have been a researcher or a diagnostician of unusual stuff.  I have the brain for it.  Things just didn't go that way because I was not good at school :-
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

I think you're right about a change in disease locations as the climate changes.

I'll keep an eye out for it.

LizStreithorst

Is there a certain publication I might subscribe to for this kind of science that I like so much?  I'd give it a try even if it was over my head.  I learned a lot from reading the over my head stuff that the Veterinarians I worked with had on their book shelves.  When I started reading them everything in them was over my head, but as time went on I was able to figure it out if the subject was of interest to me.  I don't know how I did it but I did huh

I'm not stupid.  I'm just old and eccentric ;D
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

I just find these things in rather general publications like Science or Nature (2 general science publications).
Other sources could be Scientific American, Science News, Cell, or maybe Trends in Parasitology. Science has a free access new area and I am guessing Nature has something similar.

These are not journals that specialize in diseases (except for Trends in Parasitology). They will have other stuff.
They aren't cheap either (~$100/year, except maybe Science News or Scientific American). The last two should be in public libraries. The others would be in College/University libraries (access may be difficult).

If you are looking for something specific, you could Google (Google Scholar if necessary) it and can often find free pdfs of single articles people have (normally a scientific article pdf can cost $30-$50 each from the publishers (except for the things like PLOS (Public Library of Science journals; which are free to download)).

There are tons of specialty journals for medical stuff. I am not that familiar with them. They are probably more pricey.

PaulineMi

Luz you may like Laurie Garrett's book "The Coming Plague".  It's an older book and very disturbing. It addresses the potential for various diseases to spread worldwide. I surely think about that potential with our open boarders/open arms.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)