• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 01:38:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,352
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 886
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 886
Total: 886

all glass aquarium co.

Started by ilroost, April 05, 2013, 08:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilroost

Bought a 150 gallon tank today off a fellow down the road. it is really old according to him. The heaviest tank i ever moved. The glass is 1/2 inch thick. I need to reseal it gonna be quite the project. Any how i'm trying to find out how old it is. All i can find on it is a little sticker on the bottom that say's "ALL GLASS AQUARIUM" SERIAL NUMBER 15766.Does anyone know where to look to find out? I goggled all glass aquarium co. and all that comes up is glass aquariums. Also there is no top center brace, it looks like there never was one, could it be it is so thick of glass it doesn't need one. the frame around the top and bottom is really thick hard plastic.   thanks

BallAquatics

This is what I found.....

The people that created the All-Glass Aquarium Company and brand, the world's leading manufacturer of aquariums and accessories for over 40 years, saw a need. That need was to further aid in people's enjoyment of aquarium keeping. By branching out beyond just aquariums, Aqueon was born to provide a full assortment of products for the aquatic hobby. The Aqueon line will contain foods, power filtration, water care products, lights, d?cor, furniture and of course aquariums. As a matter of fact, the high quality All-Glass branded products you have come to know and trust will also transition to the Aqueon brand. In doing so, Aqueon will continue the tradition of maintaining the highest quality standards established over the past 40 years.

Dennis

ilroost

Thanks Dennis. do you think there is no center brace on top because the glass is so thick?

BallAquatics

Quote from: ilroost on April 05, 2013, 08:26:31 PM
.....do you think there is no center brace on top because the glass is so thick?

That makes sense.  If you are going to reseal it, you could always get a piece of glass cut and put in a brace if you wanted.

Dennis

Mugwump

My old Glass 110 gal has that heavy 1/2"+ glass...it was like picking up a car, when we moved it. It has a double center brace spanning over a foot. At 72" long, it helps to support the lids and lights and is easier to size the lights.....a couple 72" lights costs quite a bit, I can use (4) 36" lights....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

I think this thing must wiegh 300 lbs. there is no where on top where it looks like there was a brace Jon. Do you think it might of had one at one time?

jennd

That is the same tank that I have.  The old tanks like that were not made with center braces.  If you look closely in the corners you can see screws holding it together. 

ilroost

jennd, thanks you are right i didn't notice them. This is my first attempt at a reseal, hope it goes good. It might not of needed it but with it being so old and sitting empty for so long, i thought it would be a good idea.

ilroost

this pict shows how thick the glass is

ilroost

heres the tank, that is a 80lb pitbull behind it

jennd

When resealing just becareful not to cut between the glass.  I resealed a 150 tall and only removed the silicone on the inside of the tank.  I was real careful not to cut between the glass.  That is the stuff that holds the glass together.  My 150 tall held water after I resealed it.  I'm sure you will do fine.

Mugwump

I'll try for a pic of mine, with the brace...it sounds like you might not need one...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EvanJ

For less than 20bucks you could get a nice thick peice of glass to silicon to the bottom side of the top rim. It would save you money when it comes time to buy tops/lights. And on older tanks I think it would be a good idea. When the split at the seems it happens very fast.
Not only do you have great taste in tanks but dog breeds as well. I know I love my pit. One of the most misunderstud dog breeds there are.

ilroost

thanks for the advice Evan, i think that would be a good idea.
Resealing this tank is taking awhile. It sure isn't as easy as the youtube video's show!!

Frank The Plumber

Take your shoes off it will be easier. snickers.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?