• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 03:44:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,345
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 798
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 746
Total: 747

An electrical question

Started by LizStreithorst, February 18, 2017, 10:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: Mugwump on February 19, 2017, 02:22:12 PM
Quote from: waterboy on February 19, 2017, 02:20:31 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on February 19, 2017, 02:18:13 PM
Quote from: wallace on February 19, 2017, 01:57:56 PM
Wear shoes. If it still doesn't work after the fix its probably the switch.

..definitely wear shoes.....yup..yup..yup.... |^|

And don't stand in water or on a damp floor.

...and eat your veggies too...

...unless you get a 'back door' shot.......flip the breaker ....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Offer a prayer to Saint Lucy, patron saint of electricians...

O Heavenly Patron...
Strengthen me in my faith;
Establish me in virtue;
Guard me in the conflict;
That I may vanquish the foe malign and attain to glory everlasting.
Amen
Dan

GeorgeG

When I work with electricity I own a couple of Insulated Screwdrivers and a Wooden ladder.  A professional-grade insulated screwdriver typically is rated for 1,000 volts. Also if you have a volt meter you can check to see if the wires are hot meaning if current is flowing through them or not after you turn off the breaker. Just do the work safely and you will live longer

BillT

I would recommend getting either a multimeter (volt meter plus) of something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Non-Contact-Voltage-Tester-NCVT-1SEN/100661787?gclid=CjwKEAiAoaXFBRCNhautiPvnqzoSJABzHd6hMAhOJ9n8iXmVCHMSy9mrfsLPhoMjpyyT9Y2IV7kbUhoCyMHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

These are voltage detectors that do not even require touching the wires to detect if the line is hot.
Current does not even have to be flowing, just the variation of the voltage can be detected.
Test it on lines known to be working first to get a feel for it.

It should also let you turn off the breaker without the light working if the rest of the circuit is OK.

You could also remove the switch plate cover and see if there is power to the switch as an alternative to way to figure out the breaker to switch off.

I got into these when I show professional electricians using them.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: waterboy on February 19, 2017, 12:44:28 PM
You did replace the bulb and try it right?  Touch a screwdriver across the terminals sort of fast.  If you get a big pop and spark the circuit is still live, if not you are good to go.  I don't think anyone has ever died from home electricity, you might get a good jolt but I don't think it can kill you.

IT CAN KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A guy I know was in the attic and hit a live wire. Suffice to say he was DOA. You've still got a heck of a lot of amperage in household power.

When I was a younger man working with power more often I used to work on it live. Today I never do.

Home electrocutions account for about 1000 deaths in the US per year.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

LizStreithorst

I haven't even bought the new fixture yet.  It's a project for nest week end. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Yes, better safe than sorry.  Even if it doesn't kill you, it's not the most pleasant thing to have happen to you.

I always turn off the power if that is an option.  If not, you need to know what you are doing.....

You have the right idea Liz,  just turn off all the breakers and then turn they back on when you are done.  You will kill two birds with one stone this way, and be safe too.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on February 20, 2017, 09:26:07 AM
Yes, better safe than sorry.  Even if it doesn't kill you, it's not the most pleasant thing to have happen to you.

I always turn off the power if that is an option.  If not, you need to know what you are doing.....

You have the right idea Liz,  just turn off all the breakers and then turn they back on when you are done.  You will kill two birds with one stone this way, and be safe too.

Dennis

.... |^|  yup...
Jon

waterboy

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on February 20, 2017, 09:09:53 AM
You did replace the bulb and try it right?  Touch a screwdriver across the terminals sort of fast.  If you get a big pop and spark the circuit is still live, if not you are good to go.  I don't think anyone has ever died from home electricity, you might get a good jolt but I don't think it can kill you.

A guy I know was in the attic and hit a live wire. Suffice to say he was DOA. You've still got a heck of a lot of amperage in household power.

When I was a younger man working with power more often I used to work on it live. Today I never do.

I believe you, but where did that 1000 per year statistic come from? I never heard of that before.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on February 20, 2017, 02:31:13 PM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on February 20, 2017, 09:09:53 AM

I believe you, but where did that 1000 per year statistic come from? I never heard of that before.

...everyone has their exaggeration number..... ;)....mine's 42 million..... ..."I've told you 42 million times not to do that..."..yada yada...
Jon

wallace

That would include people who stick forks in their toasters...

When I was a kid I sat on the patio and stuck a little green wire into an outlet... just to see, ya know... damn that got me good, it felt like my whole arm was the Tasmanian Devil. The trick is being able to let go. If you can't let go you're done for.
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on February 20, 2017, 04:18:17 PM
That would include people who stick forks in their toasters...

When I was a kid I sat on the patio and stuck a little green wire into an outlet... just to see, ya know... damn that got me good, it felt like my whole arm was the Tasmanian Devil. The trick is being able to let go. If you can't let go you're done for.

I know a guy that used to work maintaining the runway lights at O'Hare Airport.......they climbed down in the 'sub' runway maintenance pits.....everything he wore was plastic, except for his outfit....those giant capacitors would suck an iron wrench right out of his hand if he had one.....and/or suck his tool belt, him included, into the workings, if he'd had them instead.....it was a bizarre and dangerous job...he said you could smell the electrical power..

...that was years ago, I imagine they've found safer ways to do it now..... huh
...then there's RF energy.....nasty stuff....and no the actor in a war movie didn't hang onto the Jeep radio antenna while talking.....

Jon