• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 06:15:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 760
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 738
Total: 738

L183, Starlight BNs

Started by wsantia1, December 12, 2015, 08:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Thanks Dennis & Captain Bob.  |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

wsantia1

The guy I was getting these from can't make the meeting tonight. So what does he do? He rings my bell at 7:40 this morning to deliver the fish. They are about 1.75 inches so they are a little bigger than I expected. I am going to drop them in a tank I have ready (29G). It is not the one I wanted to set up but it will have to do for now. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 14, 2015, 06:57:51 AM
The guy I was getting these from can't make the meeting tonight. So what does he do? He rings my bell at 7:40 this morning to deliver the fish. They are about 1.75 inches so they are a little bigger than I expected. I am going to drop them in a tank I have ready (29G). It is not the one I wanted to set up but it will have to do for now. |^| |^| |^|

..I like him already...he's a caring fish keeper. A superb gesture on his part.

...is he a coffee drinker too?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on December 14, 2015, 07:00:22 AM

He was in a hurry so i didn't get a chance to chat with him much. He also brought me some microworms and vinegar eels. I had to put them in the garage until I have a chance to see what is going on with them. Don't want them stinking up my house just yet. huh
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 14, 2015, 07:05:50 AM

He was in a hurry so i didn't get a chance to chat with him much. He also brought me some microworms and vinegar eels. I had to put them in the garage until I have a chance to see what is going on with them. Don't want them stinking up my house just yet. huh

..the vinegar eels won't smell....the mix is 50/50 red vinegar/water...toss in a small piece of apple...and you're good to go.....we use a gallon jar and rubber band a coffee filter over the top to cover and let breath......no smell...

Micro worms only smell when you open them, and if fresh,not much...plastic containers with some holes poked in the lids....we've been using instant mashed potatoes for awhile now......much less smell too....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on December 14, 2015, 07:25:51 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on December 14, 2015, 07:05:50 AM

..the vinegar eels won't smell....the mix is 50/50 red vinegar/water...toss in a small piece of apple...and you're good to go.....we use a gallon jar and rubber band a coffee filter over the top to cover and let breath......no smell...

Micro worms only smell when you open them, and if fresh,not much...plastic containers with some holes poked in the lids....we've been using instant mashed potatoes for awhile now......much less smell too....

I am pretty sure what I smell in vinegar. lol I am pretty sure I will be asking you more questions about these worms when I get to them. I released the L183s. They took to the glass right away foraging for food. They have the white stripe on the dorsal and caudal. They are a little too pale to see the spots on the body but they probably were bagged up last night and the guy came up from the Baltimore area with them. He was on his way to Philly.
Willie

wsantia1

In my tank. Not a great picture but I did not want to get too close. mim
Willie

Mugwump

..pretty little snots..... |^|...I see they're getting their colors back too...... ;D
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on December 14, 2015, 08:50:38 AM
..pretty little snots..... |^|...I see they're getting their colors back too...... ;D

Yes. Even the polka dots came back. I may try to get some more after I see how these do. They are kind of pricey but in the end may be worth it.
Willie

BallAquatics

The spots get very small as the fish mature.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

What beautiful snots.  The beautiful ones are generally shy but these are not.  Best of luck with them, Willie!
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 14, 2015, 11:58:05 AM
What beautiful snots.  The beautiful ones are generally shy but these are not.  Best of luck with them, Willie!

Thanks Liz.
Willie

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 14, 2015, 11:48:15 AM
The spots get very small as the fish mature.

Dennis

Dennis when I was researching these I came across a BallAquatics that had info on these. Was that your info?
Willie

BallAquatics

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 14, 2015, 12:02:22 PM
Dennis when I was researching these I came across a BallAquatics that had info on these. Was that your info?

Might be, I have several posts and a fry video on youtube about 183's.  There should be some posts here on Mugwump's as well.  I've had them for a bit.....  got mine in the spring of 2013 at a club BAP auction.  ;)

Here's a photo of a young adult male and you can see how small the spots get.  I'm guessing that's where the name "Starlight" comes from as they look more like stars than poka dots when the fish mature.  Still a very nice looking pleco and one of my favorites.

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 15, 2015, 02:40:49 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on December 14, 2015, 12:02:22 PM

Might be, I have several posts and a fry video on youtube about 183's.  There should be some posts here on Mugwump's as well.  I've had them for a bit.....  got mine in the spring of 2013 at a club BAP auction.  ;)

Here's a photo of a young adult male and you can see how small the spots get.  I'm guessing that's where the name "Starlight" comes from as they look more like stars than poka dots when the fish mature.  Still a very nice looking pleco and one of my favorites.

Dennis

I thought they that it might be your video when I looked at it and saw the name. Nicely done. I have it bookmarked.  |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie