• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 02:55:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 707
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 623
Total: 624

Shock Collar Problems

Started by wallace, June 30, 2017, 10:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

My wife is a mess. She got a shock collar to keep Rooster from running down the road, and last night all she did was the beep sound a few times, never used the shock. Now Rooster won't come home. I walked out this morning and took the collar off, showed it to him and threw it on the ground. Don't know if that will help. She spent all these months working with the dog and now its afraid of her.
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on June 30, 2017, 10:37:14 AM
My wife is a mess. She got a shock collar to keep Rooster from running down the road, and last night all she did was the beep sound a few times, never used the shock. Now Rooster won't come home. I walked out this morning and took the collar off, showed it to him and threw it on the ground. Don't know if that will help. She spent all these months working with the dog and now its afraid of her.

She'll need to walk around with a pocket full of treats for a spell.........a snack reward does wonders.....I don't care for the shock collars myself....they can send a wrong mssg to a dog too, like in your case....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Well we got him back in his pen area. A friend came over with a little dog and walked out and was able to put a leash on and bring him home.  :)I think he does realize the collar is not there anymore. The electric fence is done and it works ok. All this because there are cows 2 miles away that can't be chased for fun. huh

Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on June 30, 2017, 11:15:34 AM
Well we got him back in his pen area. A friend came over with a little dog and walked out and was able to put a leash on and bring him home.  :)I think he does realize the collar is not there anymore. The electric fence is done and it works ok. All this because there are cows 2 miles away that can't be chased for fun. huh

...gotta love those cows.....LOL....meanies for teasing him....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Hey Dan...............ever consider having two dogs?.....sometimes it easier to train two, than one dog....Abby had Wiggles, then Heidi......we've been looking for another Blue Healer like Wiggles to give Sassy more company......
Jon

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

In his case Rooster is likely to train the new dog bad habits.  He thinks that the world in his play ground. 

I have never used the shock color I bought.  Little Bruno's feelings are so tender that I was able to teach him with my voice.  One harsh word and he turns to mush.  I thought that I might have to use it on Cha Cha because she was terrorizing the cat.  So far it seems that I have fixed that by paddling her little arse.

Dan, your breed is supposed to stay close and protect what is his (yours).  It looks like you got one lacking the most important instinct.  I've had Komdrock  and Pyrenees.  My Kom was a sweet moron but he stayed with the goats.  My Pyr's had the best heads on their shoulders.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

I don't like the idea of shock collars either. I don't even like training animals. Rooster isn't the kind of dog that is trainable, he is a great guardian dog with the built-in instincts for that. For some reason he sees the cows as predator animals and we can't get him to stop harassing the cows. That was the main reason for the shock collar, to stop him from bothering the calves. I'm going to move the cows to the back 40 for a while.

We have two other dogs with a history of killing goats. One belongs to my son away at college. He doesn't have a place for a dog. The other was cute the day it was brought home.
Dan