• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 21, 2024, 08:25:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,362
  • Total Topics: 18,545
  • Online today: 782
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 741
Total: 741

The 125 at the shop

Started by LizStreithorst, March 17, 2016, 12:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I took a bunch of Dots and guppies to the tank at the shop a while back.  I also trimmed the huge Amazon Sword of old beat up leaves.  Since then people have taken notice of it.  It's pretty crowded but I've upped WCs 60% twice a week rather than once a week.  It will be very very crowded when I add to adult male Discus to it next week.  I'll have to up WC to 3 times weekly.  These are good Good Discus but I have no use for them in the fish room.  I don't have females of a compatible strain and one of the males is sterile due to the Discus plague I went through several years ago.

I'll have to take my camera to work and snap a pic nest week.  You will all give me hell for the overstocking but this is where my fish go when I no longer want them to breed them.  Their job at the shop is to make a nice display until they die.
Always move forward. Never look back.

GraphicGr8s

Nothing wrong at all with a purely display tank. I've got two in the fish house. And four in the main house. And so long as you maintain the tanks why would anyone chide you on overstocking? You are one of the ones that knows and realizes what they are doing and how to remedy any situation that might arise from a slightly overcrowded tank.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

LizStreithorst

It's more than slightly overcrowded now.  After I add the 2 6" Discus it will be terribly overcrowded.  It will sure look good though.  I need space in the fish room and these Discus are of no value to me as breeders.  Taking them to what I refer to to myself alone as "the happy hunting ground" is better than slapping them on the concrete.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

In intensive aquaculture, heavy stocking is a pound of fish per gallon.
I have seen a heavily stocked zebrafish tub where if you put your hand in the water in would be hidden behind fish at about 6 inches of depth.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 17, 2016, 01:15:42 PMTaking them to what I refer to to myself alone as "the happy hunting ground" is better than slapping them on the concrete.

Or putting them out to pasture!??......

Or could it be putting them out to pond?!?!?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron