• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 01:48:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 621
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 605
Total: 606

Saturday's coffee moment...

Started by Mugwump, January 21, 2017, 06:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...overseas we'd just pack 40#'s of C4 around it and make toothpicks at the same time....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 21, 2017, 12:21:52 PM
It was a hell of of a night last night. The storms came through in the wee hours.  I have never heard such rain and the wind was blowing like crazy.  The phone went off with tornado warnings twice, the first time at 2:30.  I had dogs nest to me trembling uncontrollably and panting as if they were on the verge of heart attacks.  I decided that if it hit my house I'd rather blow away with it than start from scratch again so I stayed put and went back to sleep.

Hattiesburg got hit bad.  4 deaths.  But everything came out unscathed here.  3 or my 4 customers for today cancelled because they were exhausted from being up all night worrying.  It's beautiful out now, but they say more bad shit is coming tonight.

Glad that you and your dogs made it through safely Liz. |^| |^| |^| Those tornadoes in the midwest used to keep me up at nights too.  wfwf
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Well, I'm a little old lady who was raised by parents with money.  When something was wrong they called someone to come fix it.   Everything I learned how to do and fix I learned on my own.  I've always said that I wasn't raised right wfwf  I'd be better off now if I'd had working class parents.  This tree is over my head both figuratively and literally.

The my tree guy just called back.  "This is Billy Bostic.  I missed a call from you earlier..." I didn't do what I always do and introduce myself.  I just started talking.  After a bit he said, "This is Miss Liz!"  I cracked up.  He recognized my speaking style.  He's coming tomorrow unless the weather is worse than predicted.

I was right.  He's been working Hattiesburg.  He says it's awful in every way.  Whole big buildings are gone, people have trees on their homes, they are desperate.  Some of them don't have insurance.  He hates it but it's part of his work. 

He remembered my tree in question because it was right next to the Sweet Gum that he took down for me.  He said, "Isn't there a larger tree close to it?"  There is.  He had me eyeball the diameter of the tree chest high.  I told him that I would measure it head height because he's tall and I'm short.  Then he had me step off the distance between the tree and the carport.  He's quite sure that he can do it without having to call in the man with the big machine.  I bet it won't cost me more than a couple hundred dollars.

Y'all should watch this man work.  I always watch even though it scares me.  Watching somebody who's good at what they do is one of my favorite things.  Just watching  is almost worth the cost of having the work done.  May be that's why people I call to do things for me that I can't do myself like me.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Life is good =;-)  At least it is for me.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon