• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 05:38:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 799
  • Online ever: 799
  • (Today at 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 553
Total: 553

Snails

Started by JR, January 15, 2013, 06:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

What is the best way to get rid of snails. My Grandson but some swords in one of my tanks and I thought he took them from one of my other tanks. But he forgot to tell me he bought them at Jacks. Now I have snails out the AZZ. I dont wont to do anything that may harm my cory. I have never had to deal with snails.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

ilroost

make a little trap. i put a glass in the tank with a piece of lettuce. they will gather on it.
Or if you like clown loaches  lol

Mugwump

Piece of potato or zuchinni work too...anchor them on a rock, wait for snails, toss and repeat....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

Carrots also work. Our even better some assassin snails
Josh

b125killer

Do you know what kind of snail it is?
Scott

JR

Little hard shell guys They are the ones you see in the pet shops Thought about assassin snails bt have never had any snails would not know how to care for them

Mugwump

Sounds like ramshorn snails...unless they're spiral shaped, then likely Malaysian trumpet snails....either one the Assassin snails will do the job....no care really, toss em in and away they chow.....clown loaches and yo yo loaches eat em too. I just got another 5 Assassins for $10 at the Milw swap...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

they are ramshorn. Going to find some assassins. How many should I get. What do they eat after the snails are gone.

Mugwump

If they clean em out, just move em someplace else, although they'll forage for food. I haven't had one starve yet.....

Diet

Feeding these snails is extremely easy, since both species consume any meaty food they find, including uneaten fish food. To a degree then, they?re scavengers. But for optimal health they will need some food left out specifically for them. Catfish pellets are a good staple, but these could be augmented with calcium-rich fare that will help them build their shells. Wet-frozen brine shrimp, mysis and krill all seem to be very popular. Small pieces of frozen lancefish are also welcomed, especially the more bony bits like the head that fish tend to ignore.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_4/clea.html
Jon

JR

Thanks for the info Jon. Sounds like they will do the trick

Rjb3

You could smash the snails and let the fish eat them.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on January 17, 2013, 06:59:06 PM
You could smash the snails and let the fish eat them.

I do that after moving some duckweed around....LOL...they love the meat and will line up for the 'mashies'.... 8)
Jon