• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 21, 2024, 08:42:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,363
  • Total Topics: 18,545
  • Online today: 782
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 719
Total: 719

really getting frustrated...

Started by DylanJkfish, March 16, 2014, 08:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DylanJkfish

So my pair spawned for the 6th time on wednesday. I took this spawn and they hatched on friday. This morning looked in the tank to find they had all died and fungused over..... I have NEVER had this problem before and its getting very annoying! And I also noticed again that atleast 95% of them has bent tails....

Any have some ideas on what could be happening... i was doing 50% w/c daily since they hatched.

Mugwump

The bent tails are from when they died.....sounds like bacteria to me...it'll do em in quick....they don't fungus and die all at once either....they must have been dropping over a day or so....

It's usually over feeding, feeding to soon, or not cleaning up left over food...and, of course, a need for more water changes.....if you had them free swimming, you had it good til there....

also, do you have a small seasoned sponge?....adding that after they've been swimming for a day will help immensely.....key word...'seasoned'....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Owl307

Quote from: Mugwump on March 16, 2014, 09:12:24 AM
The bent tails are from when they died.....sounds like bacteria to me...it'll do em in quick....they don't fungus and die all at once either....they must have been dropping over a day or so....

It's usually over feeding, feeding to soon, or not cleaning up left over food...and, of course, a need for more water changes.....if you had them free swimming, you had it good til there....

also, do you have a small seasoned sponge?....adding that after they've been swimming for a day will help immensely.....key word...'seasoned'....

these were still wigglers
With patience and perseverance anything can be accomplished.

DylanJkfish

Yes, as Mel mentioned they were still wigglers.. they were supposed to swim on wednesday.
The ones with bent tails still moved and wiggled just like any other fry would they just had bent tails /:

I typically wait a day after my fry swim to start feeding so I still had a few days befpre feeding was an option.

Yes I put a sponge in from another tank that had been running for a little over a month or so.

Mugwump

ok...got a head of myself,  ;D...the bent tails are from not being fully developed...wish that I was closer, I'd pop over and try to help out....something strange is going on...??...you definitely have a bacteria issue....are you plucking the white eggs off as they appear??...are you using peroxide or meth blue???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

DylanJkfish

I've never had to remove white eggs from a spawn. That hasn't caused a problem for me ever.
I use hp when artificially raising.

Mugwump

Perhaps you should try it...the male could miss a few, common, and then they fungus and take out the rest.......just tossing things out there....when parents raise, they normally eat the bad eggs....are you poofing them off the slate when wigglers?.....that helps too...the white and fungused eggs mostly stay stuck to the slate then....it makes it easier to tidy up any addition bad eggs too...

here..we even suck em all up, look for the good ones, siphon em out, and return those to the cleaned up tank, that increases you survivors too.....

Jon

DylanJkfish

This time they all wiggled off (they all connected to other and made like a waterfall coming off the slate) before I could poof them off.

Mugwump

Quote from: DylanJkfish on March 16, 2014, 10:02:39 AM
This time they all wiggled off (they all connected to other and made like a waterfall coming off the slate) before I could poof them off.

cool, ok....healthy til then....that's about the time that I poof them off.....that way the slate isn't in there as long, slates are notorious for bacteria ..very porous..
from there it's just water changes the same as tank temp, and cleaning/checking(for fry) the mulm.....here's where you should watch for any dead/dieing fry....and get em out.....it just takes a couple bad ones to cause a chain reaction and zap the rest....this is the critical time....once up and swimming it gets a lot easier...,,,also, another trick is when you see a couple up swimming, or trying too....gently poof the 'fry balls' and scatter them a bit....this will give the stronger ones a chance to get going earlier...the rest will follow.... ;D

You can use a small foam paint brush to gently clean the bottom too....cleaner bottom, more fry...then rigid air tube/air line siphon the goop up....

Jon