• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 11:30:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,351
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 872
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 759
Total: 759

Black worm feeders....

Started by Mugwump, April 17, 2014, 08:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...what's the pro's and con's on using them???   retention, feeding ease, freeze dried vs live???

I larger fish love em, dice em for fry or smaller fish???

red worm culture easier....?? 

California black worms has a great product and good deals for forum members(check their section out)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

I haven't bought them for a few months, but the last order I think was a pound.  Those suckers lived forever in the worm keeper they sell. Plus, there were so many that I put over half of them in a plastic container and kept both in the lower drawer of the fridge. They came packed very well with a cold pack of some sort and only a very few dead ones. In fact they lived for over about 2 months before I got them all fed to the fish.  Since I down-sized temporarily I haven't bought any more yet.

I just snatched a small glob of them out of the container with forceps and dropped them in the tanks. Fish went crazy for them. If I overfed some of the smaller tanks, there was no pollution. They live in the substrate.  In fact, a colony of them was growng in one of the tanks until I plopped some cory cats in it!
The clown loaches would would really break into a shark-like feeding frenzy!  I have used a razor blade and chopped them for the smaller fish sometimes; but I found there are various sizes of the worms in the lot that was sent, so didn't do it too often.

I do know that some of us in the club bought some bulk frozen black worms in large 1-gal ziplock bags and we won't do that again. They stank up the place awfully! I don't know where she ordered them from.

I haven't really used any freeze-dried ones.

I haven't tried culturing them. They are so easy getting them this way and they don't die off if you can rinse them every other day or so and keep them in the fridge. Never did any red worms.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 17, 2014, 09:56:24 AM
I haven't bought them for a few months, but the last order I think was a pound.  Those suckers lived forever in the worm keeper they sell. Plus, there were so many that I put over half of them in a plastic container and kept both in the lower drawer of the fridge. They came packed very well with a cold pack of some sort and only a very few dead ones. In fact they lived for over about 2 months before I got them all fed to the fish.  Since I down-sized temporarily I haven't bought any more yet.

I just snatched a small glob of them out of the container with forceps and dropped them in the tanks. Fish went crazy for them. If I overfed some of the smaller tanks, there was no pollution. They live in the substrate.  In fact, a colony of them was growng in one of the tanks until I plopped some cory cats in it!
The clown loaches would would really break into a shark-like feeding frenzy!  I have used a razor blade and chopped them for the smaller fish sometimes; but I found there are various sizes of the worms in the lot that was sent, so didn't do it too often.

I do know that some of us in the club bought some bulk frozen black worms in large 1-gal ziplock bags and we won't do that again. They stank up the place awfully! I don't know where she ordered them from.

I haven't really used any freeze-dried ones.

I haven't tried culturing them. They are so easy getting them this way and they don't die off if you can rinse them every other day or so and keep them in the fridge. Never did any red worms.

thanks, Ron....complete and concise, best review that I've read on them.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

When I buy again it will be from the California guys!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron