• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 12:42:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 534
Total: 534

Top Secret Question

Started by BallAquatics, October 18, 2012, 08:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

I'm interested in the Top Secret Powder.  I've been feeding Golden Pearls and can start my fry on the 5-50 micron size.  It's so fine it's like dust.  How fine is the Top Secret?  I raise lots of danios and the fry are often 10 to 14 days old before they are large enough to eat baby brine shrimp. I'm hoping that gives you some idea of the particle size I'm looking for.

Dennis

Mugwump

egg foo yung??/...that's pretty fine too, isn't it Bob...??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

They are both fine. Don't have a micrometer.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on October 18, 2012, 09:10:26 PM
They are both fine. Don't have a micrometer.

LOL....'micrometer'.... :o.....sure, that'll work.... :o
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

To check microns, Jon. I don't think either food is below 100. What's a micron, a millionth of an inch? Maybe a microscope would work. LOL

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on October 19, 2012, 06:32:51 AM
To check microns, Jon. I don't think either food is below 100. What's a micron, a millionth of an inch? Maybe a microscope would work. LOL

Actually, I was trying to imagine your big paws holding a grain between your fingers, and having a 'mic' in the other hand.....LOL.....

I would think that a 'scope' would do it....a grain(s) laid next to a chart...??...
Jon

b125killer

I could bring a mic to the swap if you really want to see that LOL
Scott

Rjb3

LOL  I'm thinking it won't work.

Rjb3

Dennis, have you tried Micro worms?

The powdered foods are good for Guppy, Endler, or Goodeid fry, but anything smaller may have a problem. Unless they pick at it on the bottom when it starts to break down and soften up. It's a good fry food, but I don't know about a first fry food for really small fry.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on October 19, 2012, 07:01:25 AM

The powdered foods are good for Guppy, Endler, or Goodeid fry, but anything smaller may have a problem. Unless they pick at it on the bottom when it starts to break down and soften up. It's a good fry food, but I don't know about a first fry food for really small fry.

Banana Worms and Walter worms are a bit smaller than the std microworm. Also, small fry like vinegar eels....I feed microworms to cory fry and they love em...one advantage is that the microworm families stay alive longer than say bbs....

I should add that I have duckweed too....duckweed holds lots of microbes that will break free when you take your fingers and agitate them....small fry eat the larger microbes....

Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Rjb3 on October 19, 2012, 07:01:25 AM

Yea, I feed lots of live foods, micro, walter, banana, and grindal worms, but I need something smaller.  The 5-50 micron size works like a replacement for green water.  The saltwater folks use it for a larval and reef diet.  It is super fine, it feels like baby powder.  I really can't complain as I have very good results with it, but I'm always looking for other foods.

I was over at your site looking around. Do the prices listed include shipping charges and can I just PayPal you the funds to the email address listed, or is it better to email a list and then get a total price?

Thank you for the quick reply!

Dennis

Rjb3

Better to e-mail a list.

Have you tried spirulina or kelp powder? They are like baby powder, and between the two they have all the essential amino acids and tons of minerals. The ash content of kelp powder is 39%. Good stuff.

BallAquatics

I have tried spirulina powder both with fry and mixed with yeast for feeding daphnia.  For me, it seems to fall out of the water column rather quickly.

In speaking with Allen Repashy, he said there were folks feeding some of his gel foods as a powder with mixed success, but I haven't tried that route.  It's really not what it was designed for.

I need to take inventory of what I've got on hand and get a food order ready here sometime soon.  I'll drop you a line and see what we can come up with.  Thanks again!

Dennis