• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 08:31:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 531
Total: 531

Another question from a pitifully ignorant person.

Started by LizStreithorst, January 27, 2017, 07:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Back when Dottie and I drove to Chicago we went through miles and miles and miles and miles of farm country.  I was not able to use the GPS on my phone.  Dottie had a Tom Tom but she didn't trust it.  I think she called him Bruce...But Dottie is good to travel with because she can read a map and has a sense of direction and just wanted Bruce to jive what she thought.  She actually overruled him a couple of times and she was right!!!!  I wish I could be like that.  I am worse than the opposite of that.  I inherited it from my mother.  My brother got it too huh  But neither of them had the fear.  They got pissed off instead.

When I don't have a clue which way to go I panic.  I panic to the point that when I'm lost and ask for directions I can hardly put them in my head.  It's a terrible way to be.  It's why I dread going anywhere I'm not familiar with.  I hate it but I'm stuck with it.

I understand that there is something called tethering and something called a hot spot.  I've read about them but I'm stupid about reading instructions about anything digital.  I can't help it.  It is what it is.  Please 'splain these two things me in plain old friendly English.  If I get one my GPS will even work at the ends of the earth, right?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 27, 2017, 07:38:38 PM
Back when Dottie and I drove to Chicago we went through miles and miles and miles and miles of farm country.  I was not able to use the GPS on my phone.  Dottie had a Tom Tom but she didn't trust it.  I think she called him Bruce...But Dottie is good to travel with because she can read a map and has a sense of direction and just wanted Bruce to jive what she thought.  She actually overruled him a couple of times and she was right!!!!  I wish I could be like that.  I am worse than the opposite of that.  I inherited it from my mother.  My brother got it too huh  But neither of them had the fear.  They got pissed off instead.

When I don't have a clue which way to go I panic.  I panic to the point that when I'm lost and ask for directions I can hardly put them in my head.  It's a terrible way to be.  It's why I dread going anywhere I'm not familiar with.  I hate it but I'm stuck with it.

I understand that there is something called tethering and something called a hot spot.  I've read about them but I'm stupid about reading instructions about anything digital.  I can't help it.  It is what it is.  Please 'splain these two things me in plain old friendly English.  If I get one my GPS will even work at the ends of the earth, right?

Dottiee likely had a built in car anteens to use with her Tom Tom...it was car mounted, right?....or her phone?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Her TomTom was mounted in her car.

Is there a way that I can make the GPS on my phone to never betray me?  Won't one of those hot spot or tethering things make it not betray me?

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 27, 2017, 07:57:36 PM
Her TomTom was mounted in her car.

Is there a way that I can make the GPS on my phone to never betray me?  Won't one of those hot spot or tethering things make it not betray me?

...that I'm not sure about....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

That's because you're not like me.  You, like the rest of the world can find your way around.

My favorite neuro psychologist, Francis Crick, who I consider one of the smartest people who ever lived, said that not knowing left from north or east from south often went along with something called face blindness. 

He has both.  I have both although I have trained my self to be better about recognizing faces.  Crick wrote about the face blindness because it's the more interesting anomaly.

wallace

You aren't alone Liz. I can't believe how totally ignorant I am about these smartphones. I think my phone has GPS in it  huh and I'm reading about to see how to use it. I will let you know if I learn anything that might apply to your situation... but this stuff is boring so I might not get very far with it. I was born without social skills but I did come with a fabulous navigational sense.
Dan