• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 08:45:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 930
  • Online ever: 930
  • (Today at 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 769
Total: 769

Just when ya thought that====>

Started by Mugwump, May 01, 2013, 02:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

..summer was getting closer...sleet and snow approach again.....blah..

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Not a cloud in the sky and 81oF over our way.....

Dennis

ilroost

They are calling for rain Thursday thru Monday here

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 01, 2013, 03:03:45 PM
Not a cloud in the sky and 81oF over our way.....

Dennis

Quote from: ilroost on May 01, 2013, 03:21:17 PM
They are calling for rain Thursday thru Monday here

Alright you two...rub it in...LOL...but.. maybe looks like it'll head your way too  ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Frank The Plumber

Not nice at all. Purple means carnage.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

It's rumblin' and boom'n here big time....just lovely.. :o
Jon

Barb

Fires out west, snowstorms in May in the central US, what the heck is going on??
Barb

BallAquatics

Quote from: Barb on May 02, 2013, 06:40:50 PM
Fires out west, snowstorms in May in the central US, what the heck is going on??

Climate change.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Good old 'TED'...I like to go through the archives and watch the older ones too...superb Org....my brother belongs to it.
Jon

BillT

QuoteClimate change.....

As this guy says climate change is simple. The atmospheric weather system is a heat engine and there is more heat going into it due to increased amounts of CO2 and methane in the atmosphere. Our current weird weather is a current result.

In the long run, it will get hotter and hotter. Each year has more and more record hot days but no record cold ones. I wonder why?

Politicians and lobbyists are working to obscure the obviousness of this situation for the sake of their greedy, overly wealthy donors. This situation has corrupted our basically wonderful political system and to me represents the work of the devil.

This is the greatest threat to civilization.

BallAquatics

Yes, it's really a sad state of affairs Bill.  I've noticed when the subject comes up, many people simply deny that our actions could possibly be affecting the entire planet.  It's hard to imagine what life will be like for our grand children 50 years from now or our great grand kids in a hundred years.

Dennis

BillT

QuoteI've noticed when the subject comes up, many people simply deny that our actions could possibly be affecting the entire planet.

This is often attributed to the apparent immensity of the atmosphere.

However I have read that if the molecules in the atmosphere were packed at the same density as water, it would only be 30 feet deep.
Some scenarios predict sea level rises greater than that (melting of above sea level ice caps, expansion of water due to heating, etc.).

Mugwump

Some of newer accounts are leaning towards a cycle cool down...that doesn't help with the scenario either. It just further confuses the whole issue. Who do you believe?..Do we err on the side of caution?.....this is best, regardless, because if don't do something, we've lost even more time in correcting it.
Jon

LizStreithorst

I believe that it is overall warming of the earth, that the overall warming causes weird weather patterns, and it is because of us.  Every action has an equal reaction.  Sometimes it happens over many years.  Nothing is without consequence.  All I know is that I live in Southeast Mississippi and it will drop to the 30s tonight, and that we are into MAY.  I don't like it one bit.  I had windows open.  Now I have the heat on.  This sucks.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Frank The Plumber

Mice.

I personally conducted an experiment upon mice that spells out what exactly will happen to us.

I placed a male and a female mouse within a 20 gallon aquarium. I set a feed quantity to support 6 adult mice as a maximum feed allotment for this scenario. I also chose to allow water for 6 adult mice. I carefully measured the amount of waste that 6 adult mice might make and allowed to remove that amount daily from the environment. This scenario creates a closed environmental system, Earth.

The mice of course reproduce and in a rather short amount of time you have exceeded the capacity of 6 which keeps them ideally. At a population of 12 adults mayhem has not yet ensued. The system is over taxed yet has not broken down yet and by all accounts almost seems sustainable. It is not. We are at 15 adult mice on Earth with the human population right now.

At 12 mice plus offspring there is a general sharing as things are not desperate and mice have an order to their society. Times are tough and the mice are lean yet they continue to populate.

At 18 adult mice territories are being established. Resources are being guarded and there is a lot of tension. Young mice are being killed my opposing groups if they are not noticed.

At 24 mice there is a break down of society. The groups are obvious and there is a skirmish line. Fights over resources are common. The entire environment is breaking down, sores are showing up on some of the mice. Disease is starting to become more common. Heavy antibiotics are administered to keep the project safe. Infants are commonly stolen and cannibalized.

At 36 mice there are 2 obvious clans and 3 or 4 that would arise at any chance. Fighting is constant. Infant mortality is extremely high, the size of the mice has decreased by more than half yet incredibly the females give birth at a younger age. Only one female from each clan gives birth and only one male is in control from each clan.

At 48 mice many of the subserviant mice rarely do get food. These individuals are attacked and cannibalized by all of the factions and their bodies fought over as a resource. At this point fully 90% of the mice in the society are emaciated. The alpha mice still are in some form of shape and generally only they can truly fight any longer. They continue to reproduce but the total population now grows only very slowly due to the constant cannibalization.

Eventually the alphas turn upon their own members and destroy them and devour them. The alphas war against each other so constantly that they will now kill each other only to have any form of advantage. It is as if they realize that they can not survive if any other mouse is alive. It is total carnage. A total population crash ocurrs. It will be amazing if any survive. During this time the numbers dwindle to the pint that the daily removal of wastes for 6 mice does eventually recover the environment. If a male and female mouse do exist we repeat his process again exactly.

The repetition is the sad part, we feel sorry for the mice as they are just stupid little animals with small brains. Yes, the mice are so much dumber than we.........and yet here we are.....at 15 in a tank designed for 6.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?