• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 10:21:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 537
Total: 537

Windows XP===>

Started by Mugwump, March 01, 2014, 07:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

......Support for Windows XP ends April 8th.....just so ya know...... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

They did decide to extend the support for XP embedded that runs a million + ATM's and automated check-out kiosks.  It's almost criminal how they have left so many small business' high & dry after convincing them that Micro$oft was the way to go.

I would imagine that most companies that can afford to do so, will follow the lead of the rest of the free world and move towards open source software and leave behind the restrictions of Micro$oft.

Mugwump's runs on open source software, the database that feeds the forum is open source software, the server that powers the whole operation runs on open source software.....  most of the Internet runs on open source software.  LOL

Dennis 

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 01, 2014, 09:08:30 AM
They did decide to extend the support for XP embedded that runs a million + ATM's and automated check-out kiosks.  It's almost criminal how they have left so many small business' high & dry after convincing them that Micro$oft was the way to go.

I would imagine that most companies that can afford to do so, will follow the lead of the rest of the free world and move towards open source software and leave behind the restrictions of Micro$oft.

Mugwump's runs on open source software, the database that feeds the forum is open source software, the server that powers the whole operation runs on open source software.....  most of the Internet runs on open source software.  LOL

Dennis

In your opinion....what are the best open source browsers?  I run Firefox mostly now...

http://web-browsers.findthebest.com/saved_search/Best-Open-Source-Web-Browsers
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Technically there are only two open source browsers, FireFox / IceWeasel and Chrome / Chromium.

I run Chromium, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29), the most just because I have it set-up to sync with all my systems, but FireFox / IceWeasel is just as good.  I'm on IceWeasel right now just because this system has a fresh install of Debian Linux and that's the default browser.

Dennis

Mugwump

..Nice , I've read a little about IceWeasel....how easy is it to blend them, when adding on...??...
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on March 01, 2014, 11:40:42 AM
....how easy is it to blend them, when adding on...??...

Not sure what you mean???

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 01, 2014, 11:53:38 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on March 01, 2014, 11:40:42 AM
....how easy is it to blend them, when adding on...??...

Not sure what you mean???

Dennis

From what I'm reading, you can just add/blend IceWeasel to Firefox, right?..so that Firefox uses the debian database??

then I read here...

How to install Iceweasel (Firefox)

Iceweasel can be installed from the Debian repository with

aptitude install iceweasel   #(it provides mozilla-firefox)

but then....

In order to browse websites like mlsni.net which allows Firefox but not Iceweasel, you'll need to change the user agent string of your browser. Look at the section "User Agent String" on how to change the user agent string.

so you'd need to be familiar with the open source manual tweaking???....
Jon

BallAquatics

I see.  Basically they are the same software so you would choose to use one or the other not blend them together.  It's the same with Chromium / Chrome.  IceWeasel and Chromium have NO proprietary software, they are strictly open source.  That is very important to some folks.  In the case of Chrome, to create Chrome from Chromium, Google takes this source code and adds:

• Integrated Flash Player
  • Built-in PDF viewer
  • Built-in print preview and print system
  • An auto-update system called GoogleUpdate

It's also the same as how Ubuntu got started.  Debian Linux, which Ubuntu is created from, has NO proprietary software when you install it.  You can add from like 60,000 software packages once it's installed depending on your needs, but out-of-the-box it's all open source.  Ubuntu on the other hand comes pre-configured with some proprietary software, mainly audio visual stuff.  At one time, Ubuntu had a very good thing going with being very easy to install and run, they were the #1 Linux distribution.

Does that make sense???

Dennis

Mugwump

Yep.....I think that I'm seeing it now....makes sense too.. how they were talking about the multi add-ons available
Jon

BallAquatics

Yea, I would think that any of the FireFox add-ons would work with IceWeasel since they have the same base code and you could most likely start with IceWeasel and add the missing bits to turn it into FireFox.....

Dennis