• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 07:55:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 533
Total: 533

Scheduled Outage

Started by BallAquatics, January 17, 2014, 02:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Tomorrow night, between the hours of 8 - 10 PM MST, our web host will be performing a kernel update on our server.  They estimate the outage to be approximately 15-30 minutes.  During this time the website will not be accessible.  This updated kernel brings a number of significant enhancements in all aspects of the kernel, the integral part of which the rest of the Operating System relies upon.  You can read more about the changes in this kernel at http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.4.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 17, 2014, 02:04:02 PM
Tomorrow night, between the hours of 8 - 10 PM MST, our web host will be performing a kernel update on our server.  They estimate the outage to be approximately 15-30 minutes.  During this time the website will not be accessible.  This updated kernel brings a number of significant enhancements in all aspects of the kernel, the integral part of which the rest of the Operating System relies upon.  You can read more about the changes in this kernel at http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.4.

Dennis

Hmmm...will they be 'flashing the bios' ?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

"Autoprobing for drivers"........ :o.   Makes me think of alien invasions.   
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on January 18, 2014, 08:23:00 AM
Hmmm...will they be 'flashing the bios' ?

Basically they are just upgrading the core of their Linux operating system.....  not sure why they make it sound so mysterious.  The hosting control panel shows that the server is now running kernel version 2.6.32-20130307.60.9.bh.  If I had to guess I'd say the are upgrading either Centos or Debian linux to the newest version.  Normally you would only do this when you have a hardware update and the kernel does not support some feature of your new hardware.

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 18, 2014, 09:03:13 AM

Thanks for that Pauline..... you might have just made my weekend!

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 18, 2014, 09:03:13 AM

LOL....or Alien insertions?  ;D 
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Yes, they left off the part about being probed the first time you log in after the update completes..... didn't want to scare anyone off.  LOL LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

I never even noticed it.....but then I was back and forth from doing other things too....??
Jon

BallAquatics

I think I called it a day before they got around to it.....  They probably did the update and then a re-start.  Web servers can often do a pretty quick re-start because they don't typically have all the other junk installed that you would have on a workstation.  While no hosting provider is going to be perfect, I think overall ours does a fantastic job. (knock on wood)   ;)

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 20, 2014, 12:25:13 PM
I think I called it a day before they got around to it.....  They probably did the update and then a re-start.  Web servers can often do a pretty quick re-start because they don't typically have all the other junk installed that you would have on a workstation.  While no hosting provider is going to be perfect, I think overall ours does a fantastic job. (knock on wood)   ;)

Dennis

Yes they are pretty good, I agree.....(knock on wood)  ;D
Jon