• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 07:51:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 523
Total: 523

Tank weld...

Started by Mugwump, January 12, 2016, 06:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

..anyone tried this before.........sounds like a tank saver in a pinch.....even cures underwater... |^|

http://www.jbweld.com/products/waterweld-epoxy-putty
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

OMG, If it does what it says it is a dream come true.  I have a 29 and a 55 that aren't worth the time it would take to replace the glass.  I have a beloved 60 wide that a couple of jerks injured badly.  It would take a willing glass man to tackle, but adore my 60 wide's from Glass Cages and I am not in the position to buy another.  They cost a dang fortune.

I don't care if it dries to a white color and I can see the repair.  I have a working fish room not a show place for fish.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 12, 2016, 07:19:55 PM
OMG, If it does what it says it is a dream come true.  I have a 29 and a 55 that aren't worth the time it would take to replace the glass.  I have a beloved 60 wide that a couple of jerks injured badly.  It would take a willing glass man to tackle, but adore my 60 wide's from Glass Cages and I am not in the position to buy another.  They cost a dang fortune.

I don't care if it dries to a white color and I can see the repair.  I have a working fish room not a show place for fish.

I'm thinking the same way too....we've got a few tanks outside that are seam have very small leaks....this be a much easier fix than a whole tank redo...

I, also, thought your 100?...that seemed to keep dribbling after a couple of fixes.....perfect...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Ir was a 120.  I looked at the side panel hard after I fixed it twice and it still leaked.  It was the way the glass was cut.  On the edge I was putting to the inside the edge wasn't beveled, but it was soft.  The side that I'd been putting on the outside was cut clean and square.  I put the piece back to the clean edge would go to the inside.  I've been using that tank ever since and not a problem.

BillT

This stuff does work under water.
However, we found that it is toxic to zebrafish embryos. Its a kind of greasy material. I suspect the greasy part is the problem because many epoxies are fish OK.
Most epoxies we tested were OK. They would work find but have to be applied dry.
There are underwater curing epoxies that are fish OK. A guy that was working for me wanted to have something like that for fixing things, so he tested several brands and eventually found one.
Sadly, I don't remember what it was.

LizStreithorst

Bill, surely you can find this guy some how and ask him what the product is.?  Grease/oil is not good for any fish.  If there is a product out there that can do the same job without the draw backs I would really like to know what it is.  Please try sir.  I have this 60 wide that I love and is broken and unusable.  If I had good stuff it could be fixed. 

You can do this. Please go to the effort for me.  I will be eternally grateful.

Mugwump

Well, this product is good for potable water tanks, so It can't be that greasy/oily......it could be what your friend found Bill ?....also, it does cure in water...
Jon

BillT

There are several epoxies that can cure (and stick) underwater.
some of them cause zebrafish embryos to either die or not develop properly.

I am pretty sure I found it in my spreadsheet of different chemical/materials we tested.

Bad: Water Weld and Minute Mend (both killed fish embryos after two days)

OK (did not kill or deform fish in our test (usually 50-100 fish in a test and control group)): syntho-steel epoxy putty

This stuff: http://www.permawrap.com/p/52/1-syntho-steel-putty

It works well. People working for me also used it on the outside (like in their pictures) of some weird plumbing that would have been difficult to take care of otherwise.

Warning: this is all based on data from at least 10 years ago.