• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 01:49:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 756
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 740
Total: 740

Pulling the next Spawn

Started by Owl307, March 09, 2014, 07:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owl307

Ok, getting a little impatient with my pair because every time they spawn, they eat it sooner than the last time. Its frustrating because the first time they practically made it to wigglers and now they eat a few hours after they lay. So I decided I'd pull a spawn and let them try again after I get a successful batch. I need my memory refreshed though. It's been almost 2 years since I have pulled one! I have a 2 1/2 set up with a heater (autimatically sets and keeps it at 78) i know the temp is a little low, but its what I have and i couldnt find anything else. Ive got a mini mini sponge filter set up in there too with the parents water. My plan- when i get the spawn take the sponge filter out and use just a airstone. put the sponge filter in with the parents to continue cycling.  Place the slate in the tank and dose with hydrogen peroxide every 12 hours for a day (so two doses) as they will hatch the next day. once they are falling off the slate as wigglers I'll poof them off and put the sponge filter back in. does that sound okay? i start small water changes when they are wigglers right?
With patience and perseverance anything can be accomplished.

Mugwump

Quote from: Owl307 on March 09, 2014, 07:57:07 PM
Ok, getting a little impatient with my pair because every time they spawn, they eat it sooner than the last time. Its frustrating because the first time they practically made it to wigglers and now they eat a few hours after they lay. So I decided I'd pull a spawn and let them try again after I get a successful batch. I need my memory refreshed though. It's been almost 2 years since I have pulled one! I have a 2 1/2 set up with a heater (autimatically sets and keeps it at 78) i know the temp is a little low, but its what I have and i couldnt find anything else. Ive got a mini mini sponge filter set up in there too with the parents water. My plan- when i get the spawn take the sponge filter out and use just a airstone. put the sponge filter in with the parents to continue cycling.  Place the slate in the tank and dose with hydrogen peroxide every 12 hours for a day (so two doses) as they will hatch the next day. once they are falling off the slate as wigglers I'll poof them off and put the sponge filter back in. does that sound okay? i start small water changes when they are wigglers right?

start getting the small sponge seasoned in any tank, so it's ready.....

I'd use straight tap, to start, at tank temp, no dechlorinator. put in heater...a half hour after the spawn, pull the eggs, and put face down, add aeration under the slate 'softly' passing near/over the spawn....add 1 1/2 caps peroxide every 12 hrs, twice... because of the bit lower temp, wigglers in about 50-60hrs, not 48.....then start 20-25% water changes without exposing the spawn to air... when a good part the fry start to vibrate themselves off the slate, poof the rest off...any whities should stick to the slate(good)...they should free swim in about 5-6 days or so..introduce the seasoned sponge..make sure they are ALL swimming before feeding very lightly with bbs or micro worms....watch for them to eat, resist all urges to feed them a lot...just feed them little meals more often....if you're not going to be around a much during the day..feed micro worms, they live longer in the water...bbs decay is the biggest fry killer, it dies, rots, turns to bacteria then boomba...kills fry....as they get bigger and heartier over the first week....they'll eat more and can be fed bigger meals..it's a gradual process..feed small watch for them eating well......cleaning up after bbs meals and daily water changes to tank temp,important, with either aged tap, or bottled water will keep them happy and growing.... ;D

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Owl307

Thanks Jon! I knew I could count on you  ;D

Mugwump

Quote from: Owl307 on March 09, 2014, 08:32:52 PM
Thanks Jon! I knew I could count on you  ;D

;D..any time 'grasshopper'.... ;D....call if you need anything....your micro worms still good???...better check em... ;D...we've got plenty here..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Owl307

yea the micro worms are great! I split them yesterday and WOW there is a lot LOL! I still needa come by to check out suitors for the male I got from you at the swap! hoping they will parent raise (which i know they will since they are yours lol)

Mugwump

Quote from: Owl307 on March 09, 2014, 08:50:54 PM
yea the micro worms are great! I split them yesterday and WOW there is a lot LOL! I still needa come by to check out suitors for the male I got from you at the swap! hoping they will parent raise (which i know they will since they are yours lol)

Couple young pairs forming now......those I can bust up, or get you one of them....
Jon

Owl307

awesome :D do you have a video of them? moms sick right now so im not sure when we can come visit

Mugwump

I'll have to get a vid for you.... ;D
Jon

Owl307