• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 09:53:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,334
  • Total Topics: 18,537
  • Online today: 380
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 358
Total: 358

Is there a cure?

Started by LizStreithorst, March 13, 2014, 03:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I spilled abot 4 oz of Diet Coke on the keyboard of my lap top at work.  I immediately turned it up side down and left it like that for 24 hrs.  I thought that I'd dodged the bullet because everything seemed to work.  I found out otherwise today.  My space bar doesn't work and my M key doesn't work.  The forum won't come up when you search for "ugwup'sfishworld".
Always move forward. Never look back.

Frank The Plumber

Hnnnnn, thats mot very mice.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

LizStreithorst

Thank you for being no help at all Frank :P

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 13, 2014, 03:36:05 PM
I spilled abot 4 oz of Diet Coke on the keyboard of my lap top at work.  I immediately turned it up side down and left it like that for 24 hrs.  I thought that I'd dodged the bullet because everything seemed to work.  I found out otherwise today.  My space bar doesn't work and my M key doesn't work.  The forum won't come up when you search for "ugwup'sfishworld".

I've used a mild solution of Dawn/water....flip it up on edge, tilted a little towards you and using a paint brush, liberally brush it good getting between the keys well....you can even do it again with a little clean water...let drain/fry well....if still sticking a bit, I've used WD-40 gently working the keys...

hell, I flooded a cell phone with WD, and it worked great...LOL...you'll need a soft cloth to soak up the extra run off tho... ;D 
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

QuoteI spilled abot 4 oz of Diet Coke on the keyboard of my lap top at work..........My space bar doesn't work and my M key doesn't work

Good thing it wasnt regular coke......all that sugary goodness would have surely screwed up a BUNCH more keys.

Last one I killed, Was much the same.....a couple keys wouldnt work intermittently. >:( >:(

I wound up getting  a spanky new keyboard off of ebay for like $14.....When it got here, I went to Utube to check out a video as to which of the 500 screws actually had to come out to get the old keyboard out, plugged in the new one, put half the screws back in place,  and was good to go in about 15 minutes.

LizStreithorst

Thanks, Mug.  Do I just do the affected keys?  Should I not rinse it with a gentle spray of water and then WD it well?  I could put the rinse water in a syringe and just do the bad keys.  Soap is sticky.   God knows, I don't want to make it worse. 

Mugwump

..."you can even do it again with a little clean water...let drain/fry well....if still sticking a bit, I've used WD-40 gently working the keys..."

I'd do the whole area that the spill hit.....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Mug, I just called my computer guy and asked him.  He suggested using regular alcohol before I tried anything with water in it.  He's such a kind guy and he's so good at what he does.  (he makes up programs and can write in "code")  I'll do as he suggested first and then try your method if it doesn't work.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 13, 2014, 04:42:56 PM
Mug, I just called my computer guy and asked him.  He suggested using regular alcohol before I tried anything with water in it.  He's such a kind guy and he's so good at what he does.  (he makes up programs and can write in "code")  I'll do as he suggested first and then try your method if it doesn't work.

Alcohol will likely make the keys fall out...it'll eat any adhesive....do at your own risk....try a few squirts of wd on one key..then work the key loose typing it a bunch of times....or....
Jon

LizStreithorst

This is what I will do once I get up the nerve to do anything.  I will hunt the key board for bad keys and use alcohol on one and WD on the second.  Which ever works best I will use on any others I find.

EdKaz

QuoteAlcohol will likely make the keys fall out...it'll eat any adhesive

As will/does WD40.......Stuff makes for GREAT label glue remover. ;)

LizStreithorst

Quote from: EdKaz on March 13, 2014, 08:57:56 PM
QuoteAlcohol will likely make the keys fall out...it'll eat any adhesive

As will/does WD40.......Stuff makes for GREAT label glue remover. ;)

Thanks Ed.  Now that I think of it WD is great at dissolving adhesive.  Dang shame it can't make a dent in silicone.  Imagine how easy it would be to rebuild a tank if I got silicone.

I've changed my mind.  I shall do my best to find one bad key that I never use.  I'll use WD on it.  I'll paint brush the useful keys with alcohol.  I believe that it will do little damage.  The alcohol will evaporate before it can hurt much.  At least that's what I think.

Mugwump

HMMmm...something learned for me, thanks Ed....I have used WD but lightly enough that I must have avoided any problems...altho, my cell phone, I flooded the puppy...LOL...and it worked. Cell and laptop keyboards are just buttons on/above a PC board...maybe that's why?? I've seen keys fall off a regular keyboard when alcohol, or strong sprays are used tho...I know that they're glued in place...

keep us posted, Liz...
Jon

LizStreithorst

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)