• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 18, 2024, 05:26:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 47
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35

Museums.......

Started by Mugwump, September 28, 2015, 07:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jan and I, had always taken the boys to the museums when we've had the chance....We blessed with a bunch here...Chicago has the 'Museum of Science & Industry', The Field Museum', Shedd Aquarium( not a true museum, but), 'The Art Institute', 'Adler Planetarium', 'Oriental Institute', 'DuSable Museum', all among many other's of interest.
   Here in Dekalb county, we have the 'Old Sandwich Opera house', 'National Railroad Museum‎', 'Midwest Museum of Natural History', 'Trolley Museum', 'Aviation Museum' and many others....

So what's in your area worth seeing??....been to the all???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Not much here in the sticks.  When I lived in Mexico I loved the Art museum in Mexico city.
Always move forward. Never look back.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on September 28, 2015, 07:29:11 PM
   Jan and I, had always taken the boys to the museums when we've had the chance....We blessed with a bunch here...Chicago has the 'Museum of Science & Industry', The Field Museum', Shedd Aquarium( not a true museum, but), 'The Art Institute', 'Adler Planetarium', 'Oriental Institute', 'DuSable Museum', all among many other's of interest.
   Here in Dekalb county, we have the 'Old Sandwich Opera house', 'National Railroad Museum‎', 'Midwest Museum of Natural History', 'Trolley Museum', 'Aviation Museum' and many others....

So what's in your area worth seeing??....been to the all???

We've got MOSI in Tampa. The wife used to take the nieces and nephews there every so often. When Little G gets a little older I want to start taking him there too. Plus we have Lowry Park Zoo. We've got the oldest wood fired steam engine in Mt. Dora. And the RR Historical Society in Parish. G loves trains. Every year we would go to Ronks PA for the Day out with Thomas at the Strasburg RR.

If I go to NY again the Planetarium may be on the list.

We do have the Florida Aquarium. They took no lessons from the Baltimore Aquarium though and it shows. And the B&O Museum there was fantastic.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BillT

I grew up in DC.
Lots of great museums there: Natural History, the National Zoo (part of the Smithsonian) which I lived across the road from when I was 4, Air and Space Museum. Many others. My sister (an artist knows a bunch of art museums, but works for the Smithsonian, in charge of traveling exhibits. I have gotten behind-the-scene tours of how they set-up exhibits etc.
There is also the FBI which has their own museum.

Eugene is small, so not much museum-wise. However there was a great aviation museum up around Portland. They had the Spruce Goose, a Blackbird and a huge warehouse of others. My father in law who made ultra-lights loved that place.
I think the millionaire who owned it either died or has had financial problems. I think it is being sold off.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on September 28, 2015, 11:04:48 PM
I grew up in DC.
Lots of great museums there: Natural History, the National Zoo (part of the Smithsonian) which I lived across the road from when I was 4, Air and Space Museum. Many others. My sister (an artist knows a bunch of art museums, but works for the Smithsonian, in charge of traveling exhibits. I have gotten behind-the-scene tours of how they set-up exhibits etc.
There is also the FBI which has their own museum.

Eugene is small, so not much museum-wise. However there was a great aviation museum up around Portland. They had the Spruce Goose, a Blackbird and a huge warehouse of others. My father in law who made ultra-lights loved that place.
I think the millionaire who owned it either died or has had financial problems. I think it is being sold off.

The 'Spruce Goose' was Howard Hughes' plane....a big wooden craft...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

i think its somewhere else now.

GraphicGr8s

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

BillT

Quotehttp://evergreenmuseum.org/the-museum/aircraft-exhibits/the-spruce-goose/

That's the place. Guess its still there.

I prefer the blackbird anyway. What an awesome machine!

PaulineMi

When we lived near Detroit...when it was safe and cared for...I'd take a pre-school and grade school aged Chris to the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Science Center, the Detroit Public Library (spectacular building), the Detroit Zoo, the Belle Isle Aquarium and, pre-security worries, to the roof of the Detroit Metro Airport. We also made visits to the Henry Ford Museum.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BillT on September 29, 2015, 11:41:12 AM
Quotehttp://evergreenmuseum.org/the-museum/aircraft-exhibits/the-spruce-goose/

That's the place. Guess its still there.

I prefer the blackbird anyway. What an awesome machine!

I like the SR71 and the Goose but for different reasons Bill. Two awesome machines.

BillT

I think the Goose only flew once.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BillT on September 30, 2015, 11:13:12 AM
I think the Goose only flew once.

True. He wasn't supposed to get it out of the water though. Basic runs only. No flight. But given the oddity of the man would anyone have expected just trial runs?

big b

There's no where where I live  :(

GraphicGr8s

big b

Nope I live close to columbus georgia.