• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 10:56:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,334
  • Total Topics: 18,537
  • Online today: 450
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 343
Total: 343

My Buddy Fritz

Started by PaulineMi, June 13, 2015, 07:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

Fritz, my 9 year old Dobe, started coughing two weeks ago. He's been diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy...a common killer of Doberman Pinschers. He spent Thursday night at Michigan State University.  On two separate occasions his heart rate had to be controlled with Lidocaine...once when it went up to 220 and then when it went up to 270. He came home wearing a 24 hour holter monitor.

He's now on seven meds that he has to have on a strict time schedule. The meds are to keep him comfortable. The veterinary cardiologist explained that Fritz may last for a few months. The frightening part is that this condition can cause sudden death.  The vet explained that sudden death, while hard on the owners, is the easiest way for the dog to pass. Of course, if he shows signs of discomfort we'll let him go.

For now Fritz is comfortable and acts like a quiet, older dog. He was a crazy man up until two weeks ago. Of all the dogs I've ever owned not one has been as tuned in to me, and me to him, as this guy. Now we'll be cherishing each day he's with us and continue spoiling and loving him.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

wsantia1

Quote from: PaulineMi on June 13, 2015, 07:55:15 PM
Fritz, my 9 year old Dobe, started coughing two weeks ago. He's been diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy...a common killer of Doberman Pinschers. He spent Thursday night at Michigan State University.  On two separate occasions his heart rate had to be controlled with Lidocaine...once when it went up to 220 and then when it went up to 270. He came home wearing a 24 hour holter monitor.

He's now on seven meds that he has to have on a strict time schedule. The meds are to keep him comfortable. The veterinary cardiologist explained that Fritz may last for a few months. The frightening part is that this condition can cause sudden death.  The vet explained that sudden death, while hard on the owners, is the easiest way for the dog to pass. Of course, if he shows signs of discomfort we'll let him go.

For now Fritz is comfortable and acts like a quiet, older dog. He was a crazy man up until two weeks ago. Of all the dogs I've ever owned not one has been as tuned in to me, and me to him, as this guy. Now we'll be cherishing each day he's with us and continue spoiling and loving him.

Pauline I am so sorry to hear about Fritz. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

I'm so sorry to hear that Pauline...our thoughts and prayers go out to Fritz, and his family.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Sorry to hear about Fritz not doing well Pauline.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I'm sorry, Pauline.  This will be hard on you but not hard on Fritz.  Take comfort in that.  He knows that he's loved.  That's all that matters to him.
Always move forward. Never look back.

ilroost

So sorry to read this Pauline

Barb

Your time with him will be extra special.  I will be thinking of you and Fritz and Doug.  Take care,
Barb

Rjb3

A million thoughts are running through my mind, but I'm not sure any of them would make you feel better. Then it hit me. You said it yourself. Cherish each day he's with you. Spoil him. Love him. Those are all good things to do. Happy thoughts headed your way.

BillT

Sorry to hear about Fritz. Sounds like you are great friends.

PaulineMi

Thanks everyone. You all are what makes this forum so special...the support and caring are wonderful spirit lifters. Your words come from the heart.

Captain Bob because of your recent loss I will keep "Happy thoughts headed your way" at the front of my mind and am sending the same back to you.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

b125killer

So sorry to hear about Fritz.
Scott

Ron Sower

Pauline, that's really tough on you. I'm sorry it's that way. Hug Fritz once for me.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

Thanks Ron and Scott. Fritz got that hug.  :)

wiggs

Pauline, sorry about Fritz, give him a hug from me also.
Jan

PaulineMi

Thanks Jan...Fritz got that extra hug.   :)

Some good news...meds have definitely made him more comfortable. He's become the reverse of his usual self....play and interact for a short while, rest and sleep all other times. It's great to see him bright eyed again.