• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 03:48:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,335
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 577
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 553
Total: 553

Old Age Sucks

Started by LizStreithorst, May 26, 2014, 02:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

My body has betrayed me.  I can still do stuff, but when I do stuff I get plum wore out.  It didn't used to be this way.  A few weeks ago it was replacing a few sections of fence.  This weekend it was bush hogging.  Bush hogging with my neighbor's big fine tractor has always been a piece of cake .  Not so this time!  My shoulders hurt, but not bad.  My biceps hurt, but less than the shoulders The muscles between my thighs and my butt hurt, but not much.  The muscles in my back hurt!  I'm generally tired.  This has never happened to me before and I don't like it one bit.  My pasture is full of stump holes and I often have to stand up and hold hard to the steering wheel not to get thrown off, but still....

Is this what I have to look forward to as I get older or do you think I can work my way out of it if I work harder?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 26, 2014, 02:11:32 PM
My body has betrayed me.  I can still do stuff, but when I do stuff I get plum wore out.  It didn't used to be this way.  A few weeks ago it was replacing a few sections of fence.  This weekend it was bush hogging.  Bush hogging with my neighbor's big fine tractor has always been a piece of cake .  Not so this time!  My shoulders hurt, but not bad.  My biceps hurt, but less than the shoulders The muscles between my thighs and my butt hurt, but not much.  The muscles in my back hurt!  I'm generally tired.  This has never happened to me before and I don't like it one bit.  My pasture is full of stump holes and I often have to stand up and hold hard to the steering wheel not to get thrown off, but still....

Is this what I have to look forward to as I get older or do you think I can work my way out of it if I work harder?

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

That doesn't help unless you're talking about non steroidal antiinflamitories.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 26, 2014, 02:26:01 PM
That doesn't help unless you're talking about non steroidal antiinflamitories.

LOL..........just teasing...and no...don't count on it getting any better........holding even is a victory ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Logical, but not what I'd hoped to hear :(  I fell apart after being depressed and sitting staring at my shoes for 2 years.  Before that I was strong like a bull.  I worked as a grunt alongside the male grunts as a construction worker and kept up just fine.  I actually shamed some.  I'm not going to give up on hard work bring me back.  First though, I think I'll take a nap ;D

Seriously, pushing the lawn mower makes he happy and is decent exercise.  I tried to fix it today.  I need to buy a belt tomorrow and put the damn thing back together correctly ::)    I'm going to try to recover my old self by mowing every day. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 26, 2014, 03:21:00 PM
Logical, but not what I'd hoped to hear :(  I fell apart after being depressed and sitting staring at my shoes for 2 years.  Before that I was strong like a bull.  I worked as a grunt alongside the male grunts as a construction worker and kept up just fine.  I actually shamed some.  I'm not going to give up on hard work bring me back.  First though, I think I'll take a nap ;D

Seriously, pushing the lawn mower makes he happy and is decent exercise.  I tried to fix it today.  I need to buy a belt tomorrow and put the damn thing back together correctly ::)    I'm going to try to recover my old self by mowing every day.

give em hell, Liz....you will feel better... ;D....just not 16... LOL,,,,we just keep plugging too, still out work the kids...hell, moved two of em last year.........*groan*.....
Jon

LizStreithorst

Sixty, hell.  All I want is about half of what of the "man" I was 7 years ago!  I may not reach that, but if I keep trying I'll get closer to it.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 26, 2014, 03:56:14 PM
Sixty, hell.  All I want is about half of what of the "man" I was 7 years ago!  I may not reach that, but if I keep trying I'll get closer to it.

...that's the spirit.....here's my motto...

Jon

P4Angels2

Ok you left out a very serious part of that statement Jon...

What will you come back as?
1. an angelfish
2. a bird

PaulineMi

There's a lot to be said about attitude.  My Dad never quit even though he was about as fragile as they come.  When I'd tell him to be careful/take it easy he'd always tell me not to worry because he knew how to pace himself.  I try to remember that. Take a little time to slow down when the aches and pains get in the way, usually a short break fixes things and then it's back to the project at hand.  ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Barb

Liz, you can still do it all, just a bit slower and with more rest time.  Old age and slowing down sure is better than the alternative...
Barb

JR

Old age does suck. I hurt in places I did not know I had. If I have to pull a engine I am done for a few days.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

It's all about just keep'n on doing what you've been doing......never waver....keep doin', and you can keep doin'.........
Jon

BallAquatics

Well, it certainly beats the alternative!

Dennis