• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 07:46:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 511
Total: 511

PHILIPPINE BLUE DANTUM PROJECT

Started by ghonk, February 01, 2016, 12:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghonk

After searching for close to two years i finally found the right fish to cross to my Dantums,at least i hope so.
I was looking to add the PB gene to them with out adding anything else,and wasn't looking to buy fish after fish and doing a bunch of test crosses,i might end up with a ton  of fish i couldn't use.

I finally stumbled upon these while asking a guy about buying some other fish.
The father of the new fish is a Albino Dantum,which is a great bonus since the will help keep the % of Dantum blood.
The mother is a Pinoy lace,breed by Neil Oyama that has Rio Negro blood.

Judging by a picture of the female used in the cross i don't think she has a gold gene,since she is light in color.The breeder originally said she didn't carry pearl either,but after more questioning he was basing that on a cross it which he used a sibling of my new stock crossed to a pearl and got no pearl offspring.But if the female was het pearl only some of her offspring would carry it,so there is a chance that the sibling he used just happens to not have it. 

Enter a pair of plats i got from Jon yesterday at the swap,Pearl and het pearl.I'm going to use them to cross to the new stock,hopefully confirming they don't carry pearl or gold.

I will get  25% blues and pinoys in a sibling cross,including some albinos.Which will be 50% dantum blood.
My goal is to cross the new stock to my dantums,which will eventually give me 75% or more  dantum blood blues and pinoys.

Future plans might include a line that does carry albino,for the people that don't care for it,not knowing any better. ;)

I got 5 total,3 silvers and 2 black lace.

Mugwump

...you sure have a project going on there......nice stock to work with too.. .have fun..and good luck

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

They are about 9 months old,i'm very happy i don't have to grow them out,and can see results much quicker.
The seller said he pulled 3 pairs from the group he grew out already.

According to the seller one of the silvers is a female,said it was cleaning with another fish and he saw a partial tube.
He also said one or the silvers was a male,i assume he was judging by behavior,will have to ask him.
Was also guessing the third silver was a female.As long as i get 1 pair from them i will be ok.

The better of the 2 blace lace is really nice,it is showing nice spotting which i didn't expect so much of from a dark fish,and has nice color overall.
The one  he was guessing to be female has a bad eye from an injury,he threw that one in for free.

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on February 01, 2016, 11:55:00 AM
They are about 9 months old,i'm very happy i don't have to grow them out,and can see results much quicker.
The seller said he pulled 3 pairs from the group he grew out already.

According to the seller one of the silvers is a female,said it was cleaning with another fish and he saw a partial tube.
He also said one or the silvers was a male,i assume he was judging by behavior,will have to ask him.
Was also guessing the third silver was a female.As long as i get 1 pair from them i will be ok.

The better of the 2 blace lace is really nice,it is showing nice spotting which i didn't expect so much of from a dark fish,and has nice color overall.
The one  he was guessing to be female has a bad eye from an injury,he threw that one in for free.

I'll bet they were raised in a low light environment....I use this method to enhance striping.....you get much bolder set dark stripes, and some spotting..most times it'll bring out the blue/green wild type hues too....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 01, 2016, 12:06:20 PM
Nice fish, Greg.  Best of luck.

Thanks Liz.
The ones the guy called a male and female have paired,and the male started beating the crap out of the others,mostly the 2 black lace.

Had to put a divider in the tank,going to add a slate  and see what happens.

ghonk

Picture of the parent pair,used with permission of the breeder Attila Csakvari.
Albino Dantum male,Pinoy lace female breed by Neil Oyama,the female has Rio Negro blood.

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on February 04, 2016, 09:49:03 PM
Picture of the parent pair,used with permission of the breeder Attila Csakvari.
Albino Dantum male,Pinoy lace female breed by Neil Oyama,the female has Rio Negro blood.

..nice looking pair.. |^|

Pinoy lace is redundant, is it not?.....Pinoy denoting a pb with a dark gene, lace being D/+...
Jon

ghonk

Thanks Willie.
Since there is a picture included i guess i could have not said lace,i don't think she carries a gold gene which would make her a hybrid black pinoy. 

If a black can be black lace,hybrid black or double dark shouldn't a pinoy be listed as the same,since they are all pinoy if  a double dose of PB is added.

Calling it a   lace just differentiates it from hybrid or double dark.   

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on February 05, 2016, 10:05:50 AM
Thanks Willie.
Since there is a picture included i guess i could have not said lace,i don't think she carries a gold gene which would make her a hybrid black pinoy. 

If a black can be black lace,hybrid black or double dark shouldn't a pinoy be listed as the same,since they are all pinoy if  a double dose of PB is added.

Nope....lace only has one connotation......a Silver with a dark gene.....but it keeps getting morphed into names for some reason.. huh.....soon it's true intent will be obsolete...the phenotype descriptors that I see now days makes me cringe......
Jon

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on February 05, 2016, 10:29:27 AM
Thanks Willie.

Nope....lace only has one connotation......a Silver with a dark gene.....but it keeps getting morphed into names for some reason.. huh.....soon it's true intent will be obsolete...the phenotype descriptors that I see now days makes me cringe......

Yes, a lace or black lace is D/+.
But a pinoy can be D/+,D/g or D/D,if i was selling you a fish listed as pinoy   you wouldn't know which it was.
If i said pinoy lace you would know that is was D/+ - pb/pb,correct?
Same thing if i said double dark pinoy,which would be D/D - pb/pb.
There is no morphing involved here.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on February 05, 2016, 12:15:37 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on February 05, 2016, 10:29:27 AM
Thanks Willie.

Yes, a lace or black lace is D/+.
But a pinoy can be D/+,D/g or D/D,if i was selling you a fish listed as pinoy   you wouldn't know which it was.
If i said pinoy lace you would know that is was D/+ - pb/pb,correct?
Same thing if i said double dark pinoy,which would be D/D - pb/pb.
There is no morphing involved here.

...I guess you can call them anything you'd like.....I doubt that you'll find it in TAS's phenotype library ever listed that way tho....we're in the middle of revising the library now....hopefully be done soon  huh

shoot, I've seen 'lace' used as a term for veils....over on FB there's a new name a day just about.....I guess they feel that the longer the name the better, so everything gets added, right or not.....LOL...Pinoy blue lace vale long fin pearl diamond dark smokey leopard ..... wfwf wfwf wfwf

Jon

ghonk

Calling a fish pinoy doesn't give enough info of the genetics of the fish,since it can be D/+,D/g or D/D.
You wouldn't call a hybrid black or double dark black a lace,why should all pinoys be lumped together regardless of the genetics.