• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 07:42:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 517
Total: 517

Any of you guys into wild Altums?

Started by Second Hand Pat, November 13, 2015, 06:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Hummm, The pH of my ro is 6..  I guess how low you can get it depends on what minerals are in your tap water.  I don't know.  I love water chemistry but I only know the basics of it.  Water is so much more complex that people imagine.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Second Hand Pat

Indeed it so Liz but not using any tap in the water for the altums. Using RO water, RO Right and Discus Essentials only. :)
Pat
Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

LizStreithorst

If my RO is pH 6 I would have to use something like peat to lower it, right? 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Second Hand Pat

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 15, 2015, 07:54:36 PM
If my RO is pH 6 I would have to use something like peat to lower it, right?

Liz, I do a 50% water change every other day. This allow the ph to drop naturally.
Pat

Second Hand Pat

A video from last night. Measured a couple of these guys (with ruler) and they range to just under two to just over two inches SL. I understand this is good growth for their age at 5.5 months.

Mugwump

Nice....that's about pre-breeder size now....they should start to blossom a bit over the next 4-5 months....some of my Sta Isabel/Rio Negro crosses got huge....others pretty large too...I think Pauline has one of the 'big' boys too....not sure if Larry has any tho....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Pat they look wonderful. ...everything about them. I could spend a lot of time just observing and admiring them. Are these your first Altum?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Pat?..are those some of Troxell's F1's ?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Second Hand Pat

Quote from: Mugwump on November 23, 2015, 07:01:06 AM
Nice....that's about pre-breeder size now....they should start to blossom a bit over the next 4-5 months....some of my Sta Isabel/Rio Negro crosses got huge....others pretty large too...I think Pauline has one of the 'big' boys too....not sure if Larry has any tho....

Jon, these guys take two to three years to mature and if raised well are as big as discus. Hope to get them to three or better inches at a year.
Pat

Second Hand Pat

Quote from: PaulineMi on November 23, 2015, 07:01:40 AM
Pat they look wonderful. ...everything about them. I could spend a lot of time just observing and admiring them. Are these your first Altum?

Second batch Pauline. I did very well starting with my first batch (at least good for a altum newbie) but the first batch stressed over Christmas company and went into hiding for three months which put the group into a serious state of decline. I have a few left but they look awful. :(

Second Hand Pat

Quote from: Mugwump on November 23, 2015, 07:03:14 AM
Pat?..are those some of Troxell's F1's ?

These are wild caught Jon from John (snookn21) here in Florida. Mike has be helping me with this batch.
Pat

Mugwump

Quote from: Second Hand Pat on November 23, 2015, 07:06:09 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on November 23, 2015, 07:01:06 AM

Jon, these guys take two to three years to mature and if raised well are as big as discus. Hope to get them to three or better inches at a year.
Pat

You're correct.....but at a about a year they start to blossom in looks.....my F1 Mana's took 2 years+ to even look like the wanted to pair off and spawn...lots of early activity, but mostly just the youthful sparring.....enjoy the ride  |^|
Jon

Mugwump

Quote from: Second Hand Pat on November 23, 2015, 07:09:54 AM
Quote from: PaulineMi on November 23, 2015, 07:01:40 AM

Second batch Pauline. I did very well starting with my first batch (at least good for a altum newbie) but the first batch stressed over Christmas company and went into hiding for three months which put the group into a serious state of decline. I have a few left but they look awful. :(

I've covered a few tanks when we have a large family gathering ....it helps a lot...I learned my lesson on a similar happening...they spooked a couple pairs that I really wanted their spawns....they went nuts and ate the eggs.....but that's a rarity here now...all the fish are well socialized...wilds tho are a different story most times tho.....sorry to hear that about yours....
Jon

Second Hand Pat

Quote from: Mugwump on November 23, 2015, 07:16:48 AM
I've covered a few tanks when we have a large family gathering ....it helps a lot...I learned my lesson on a similar happening...they spooked a couple pairs that I really wanted their spawns....they went nuts and ate the eggs.....but that's a rarity here now...all the fish are well socialized...wilds tho are a different story most times tho.....sorry to hear that about yours....

Thanks Jon, I am leaving this batch in my little fishroom for now. It is away from all the household activity but the largest tank in that room is only a 75. Later I will relocate my 90 to a less busy spot and move them into that tank.

Second Hand Pat