• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 10:28:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 425
Total: 425

Any of you guys into wild Altums?

Started by Second Hand Pat, November 13, 2015, 06:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Second Hand Pat

Hi guys, I'm Pat and am mostly a discus keeper. But I do have a young group of wild altums. This is my current batch of young Atabapo Altums. They are about five months old (rough guess).

Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Mugwump

..beautiful Altums.....sweeeeeeeet.....and I like your music ...a bunch of old rockers here too... |^|

I've been looking at mike Troxell's F1's for a bit....I'm grab some.??...right now I have some Sta Isabel/Rio Negro ctoses and a few Mancapuru.....Altums would about complete what I like......

thanks for the vid
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Second Hand Pat

Jon,

Mike had a spawn just hatch today. He is letting the parents raise this batch. He is as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. He is a great guy and trying to raise perfect fry. He is getting close to have growouts he is happy with. Do you have redbacks?

Pat

Mugwump

Quote from: Second Hand Pat on November 13, 2015, 06:55:24 PM
Jon,

Mike had a spawn just hatch today. He is letting the parents raise this batch. He is as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. He is a great guy and trying to raise perfect fry. He is getting close to have growouts he is happy with. Do you have redbacks?

Pat

I know....his last batch, he had some in the TAS auction, and he's had some on Aquabid too..

Yes, I have a Manacapuru few left, but I lost my F1 pair a couple months back...they were about 5-6 years old...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

I would love to have some, but our water wouldn't suit them.  Yours are so pretty.
Barb

John Patakos

those are gorgeous Altums Pat.Altums are one of my favorites and i would love to have some.i just can't afford them.i need to find someone to buy all of my guns and custom made knives so i can get some.

Second Hand Pat

Quote from: Barb on November 13, 2015, 08:35:57 PM
I would love to have some, but our water wouldn't suit them.  Yours are so pretty.
Barb

Thanks Barb, I would consider these guys special needs fish which is mainly dealing with their water prep. I use RO water and add RO Right targeting a TDS of 100 and add additional minerals with Discus Essentials. Basically I aiming for acidic water with lots of minerals to support fin growth. The ph in their tank is 5.5.
Pat

Second Hand Pat

Quote from: John Patakos on November 14, 2015, 08:42:57 AM
those are gorgeous Altums Pat.Altums are one of my favorites and i would love to have some.i just can't afford them.i need to find someone to buy all of my guns and custom made knives so i can get some.

Thanks John, you can afford them if you are willing to get them really small. I got these at dime sized end of July this year. They cost $15 each plus shipping. I get mine from John (snookn21) in Florida. This is how tiny they are.

The tannins in the water is rooibos tea which I use to support the altums after shipping and help them acclimate. The tea adds all sort of good things to the water and is a cheap way to get that bio-tope look.
Pat

sschind

Don't know what rooibos is.  Can I use Lipton?   ;D

Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

Jon

Second Hand Pat

Mugwump

Jon

Second Hand Pat

LizStreithorst

They are beautiful, Pat.  Look at that strong finnage and the body shape.  Good fish.  Why would plain old peat moss not work for lowering the pH?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Second Hand Pat

Thanks Liz, no need to mess with peat. The tank's ph is 5.5. Look at my post to Barb (reply 6) and you will see how I prep the water for their water changes. :)
Pat