• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 11:23:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 428
Total: 428

ALBINO DANTUM SPAWN

Started by ghonk, June 15, 2014, 05:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

There's always a 2 1/2...or you can partition a ten, and adjust it as they grow?.....Sterilite plastic trays/boxes can be found in various unique sizes....check out Wally World, they have a massive assortment....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Greg I got my Dantums when they were quite small. I was concerned about their ventrals as they weren't uniform lengths on all of them.  I asked David about it and he said not too worry, they're very young and will turn out perfect. I'm happy to say he was right. I'm not "a breeder" and hadn't previously seen that on the few spawns here.

I don't know if that's unusual or not but just wanted to give you a heads up....just in case.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Pauline, with some 'weaker' phenotype spawns, the fry tend to be bottom dwellers, some even scooting along the bottom...that's why they are called 'sliders' ...this causes the ventrals to wear down during development....also, the exposure to added bacteria on the bottom doesn't help any either....Plat pearl scales are famous for this..and a few other 'pearls' as well....with the Albino's bad sight too..they tend to roam low in the water column....Greg's fry being in the breeder box, and liking the air flow helps immensely in keeping them up.....if the ventrals don't become 'nubs', or splayed,  they should eventually grow normally...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Thanks Jon.  Interesting info. You had told me about "knuckling" on ventrals awhile back.  This other is new for me.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

ghonk

I noticed the short ventrals on yours Pauline when you got them,and also from other pics online.But yours turned out great,thought maybe they just took longer to develope on the Dantums,which doesn't seem likely since they have extra long ventrals as adults.

Here's how i have them setup in the container,seems to be working,want to repeat it when i move them to something larger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODiLEBLvevg&feature=youtu.be

Mugwump

Looks good..if I may ask?....what's the reason for ad? on the left ..?? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

ghonk

Product  placement  :) ,Or was it i didn't have anything else to cover the tank.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on June 28, 2014, 08:31:11 PM
Product  placement  :) ,Or was it i didn't have anything else to cover the tank.

Ah, I see it now,,,, ;D   
Jon

ghonk

Hey,save  more money at menards.

Mugwump

Jon

ghonk

6 weeks old,the largest are pre dimes.

ghonk

PaulineMi

AWESOME!!!!!!!  Congratulations Greg.

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

ghonk

Thanks Pauline and Willie.
It was a lot of work,and i'm ALMOST up to raising another batch. :)