• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 06:58:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 427
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 335
Total: 335

$#@&! &%#+?@%$ !!!! THAT was Fun :'(

Started by EdKaz, March 05, 2014, 09:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdKaz

Finally sitting down and RELAXING, while taking in my "handiwork" and the new fish seemingly happy, swimming around.

Found an ODD 75 gal tank at a garage sale a couple years ago....6 ft long 12 inches front to back and some 20-21 inches tall....glass a full 3/8 thick. HEAVY SOB

IT happens to be one of the tanks I recently took outta moth balls for the fishroom, and stuffed the Wifes African Cichlids in.....Was looking kinda good with them fish bang zooming from one end to the other.

WAS....is the key word here.
While we were downstairs having a cup of coffee and feeding the fish, I heard a different kinda running/dripping water sound off in the corner. Didnt think much of it at first, but than it grew in intensity. Look over at her tank and YEP.....it sprung a leak. The bottom pulled away from the back of the tank.

Thrashed around, and emptied the tank after a few minutes of hectic fish moving, unplugging and of course.....making up a few NEW words.

Checked it out this morning and found the silicone just gave up in the middle of the tank at the bottom and bowed out the frame. 6 Foot long tank and NO center bracing ::)

Wound up having to tear out the entire bottom so I could clean up the frame and stick the glass back to it, and the sides......than reseal the whole thing :'( :'( :'(

WHAT A PAIN......all done finally......hope it holds water and stays together.

Never was the prettiest tank, beat up a lil, glass is scratched up in places and was resealed before at SOME point. If it winds up leaking after all this, its going out.........in pieces.

Mugwump

That stinks....but at least you were there when it happened.....It should hold up now?...did you add a cross support?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

Quotedid you add a cross support?

Yep.... Several

It was HEAVY before..... if it leaks again now......its going out in PIECES

Mugwump

*drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip* *drip*
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

NO DRIPS YET!

Of course there is no water in it yet either. ;)

Mugwump

Jon

P4Angels

What you waiting 4... LOL I have 2 tanks that are in need of some h20 my self....
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

EdKaz

QuoteWhat you waiting 4... LOL

Im SKARED! :-\ LOL

It pretty dam hard sitting here looking at the big empty tank....shhhhh......dont prod me, Im liable to get the hose out and filler up.

Actually, I figured I better give the silicone an extra day of two to cure. Having to rip the whole bottom out, and the way the frame is designed and the glass is cut, some of the silicone is 1/4 thick or better in some places. :(  Besides, I Still have LOTS to do....found a few more tanks in storage and some empty wall space. :o :o

Mugwump

'empty wall space' ??....boomba!!....sweeeeeet ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

24 hours of curing time is enough. Get your guts up and put water in the tank.  How did you make the center braces? 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 07, 2014, 05:56:54 PM
24 hours of curing time is enough. Get your guts up and put water in the tank.  How did you make the center braces?

LOL...too late today, Ed...an extra night to make sure is peace of mind ;D ;D ;D ;D..tho, I'd have likely just filled it....LOL
Jon

EdKaz

Quoteempty wall space' ??....boomba!!....sweeeeeet

Not no more ::)
Resurrected a couple old racks that were being used as storage shelves....... filled up the empty wall space with a couple more 55's and 4 more 20's ;)  Interest in racing has taken a back seat to girls for the grandson, So I Might be introducing the routed slot car track to a sawzall next.

24 hours of curing time is enough. Get your guts up and put water in the tank. How did you make the center braces? 

Yup.......first thing in the morning.
Ripped back out the center braces I had originally was going to use, and wound up using 3/4 Marine Starboard.....a plastic "plywood" basically. Cut a piece to fit tight inside the frame from the bottom and used 3M 5200 glue(TENACIOUS holding power) to attach it to the frame. Structurally when that glue sets, the "frame" will essentially be one solid piece.....NO WAY it will pull apart again. A little overkill, and typically a pricey "fix", but I was able to get my hands on the starboard from where I used to work for free.

It MIGHT leak when I pour the water to it, but that frame will never be an issue again :D

EdKaz

OK so its morning....12:30am

Tank is filled ......no leaks.....NO DRIPS..................so far

NAP TIME!

Mugwump

The cross supports sound perfect....glad to hear it's holding water... ;D
Jon

EdKaz

Naps over..........6 or so hours in, no leaks, no drips!

When this thing let loose, the wife was actually telling me to just go ahead and find a used 125 or something to replace it.(No faith in my handiwork LOL). Looking back now Im slapping my forehead and kicking my south end , I SHOULD have bought another tank.........AND fixed this one.  DUH! ::) ??? :o >:( ???
Funny, she is not so in favor of getting another tank now. >:( :(