• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 06:49:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 623
Total: 623

Dither fish

Started by ilroost, April 12, 2014, 06:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilroost

I have googled it but can't get a good answer so "What is a good dither fish for the fronts i got"?

Mugwump

....no clue......sorry
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

A couple of people have told me to use yellow labs so might try that.
Might look interesting, the blue and black fronts and bright yellow labs

BallAquatics

Depends alot on how much room you have and sometimes you just have to experiment a bit.  I always liked them with.....

Altolamprologus calvus

... but Cyrtocara moorii would work and so would Placidochromis phenochilus.  It's been so long since I kept African cichlids there are probably several others too.

Dennis

wiggs

Hey, Dennis, That fish looks like, the fish, that Don Knots turned into, in the movie " The Increditable Mr. Limpit" and if you remember that movie your as old as I am.  lol !!
Jan

BallAquatics

I still watch Don & Andy several times a week.  I do remember Mr. Limpet, maybe that's why I have a soft spot for calvus!!!

I must admit though that The Ghost and Mr. Chicken is my favorite Don Knots movie.....  DO DO, DO DO

Dennis

b125killer

I wouldn't use calvus or compressiceps. There not that cheap of a fish for a front to get a hold of. Plus it takes a long time for them to grow. Small ones would just be food. I have a friend that has a dichir in with his fronts. Not to sure it would count as a dither fish. Things over a foot long. Or maybe a couple of  synodontis catfish.
Scott

ilroost

Hey Scott, never thought of Syndo's. I have 2 of them here now. Think i am going to try them in the morning.
Dennis, love the calvus they are cool looking, but i have never kept them before

BallAquatics

Quote from: ilroost on April 12, 2014, 09:50:13 PM
Dennis, love the calvus they are cool looking, but i have never kept them before

They are very cool.  In the lake, they are alpha predators, but they are also very smart, so they don't try to eat fish that are too big for them.  I never had any problems with laid-back frontosa harassing super aggressive calvus.

With Africans tank & fish size, (like Scott said), can make all the difference.  Best of luck with whatever you end up with!

Dennis

ilroost

Thanks. There are 5 fronts about 4 inches in size in a 90 gal.
They hide all the time, thus the reason i'm looking for dithers
Thanks for the help guy's