• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 03:20:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 609
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 598
Total: 598

HeY Mugs.....I happen to

Started by EdKaz, March 12, 2014, 11:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdKaz

Quote.heat...being as shallow as it is, compared to a much larger pool. it might even tend to get too hot on summer days

You do have a point there..... I kinda remember sitting my big ole self in the kids smaller wading pools....and the water being AWFUL warm.

I spose Im just SKARED to try something like that outdoors.....too many variables to have to TRY to keep up with, and contend with...the weather is always fine and fairly consistent down here in the basement  :D

Quotean el nino summer is forecasted, so there will likely be an excess of 90-100 deg days.

OF COURSE WE ARE ! Why would we have a reasonable summer after THIS winter? :'( :'( :'(

Mugwump

I was thinking of putting big rubber castor wheels on it so I could position it on the patio, adjusting for full to moderate direct sunlight, etc....that light grating could be used as a semi cover too...that would refract the light as the sun moves over....??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: EdKaz on March 13, 2014, 08:43:21 AM
Not sure it would need 4x4's .....

The load bearing capacity of a 2x4 is over 600 pounds.  360 gallons x 8 pounds per gallon = 2880  /  600 = 4.8  If the bottom of your trough is strong enough, a 2x4 leg on each corner and 2 in the middle would be more than enough.

Dennis

Mugwump

...OK...a 'bot' was groping this thread, so I jumped in to see what it was about.....boomba!!...my interest is renewed.....

This is doable.... ;D....I'm going to try and sketch a design to mess with....Hmmmm...?????
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

LOL a blast from the past

Never did get to building a wooden trough......DID wind up getting and using 3 of these for store bound growouts though.........$96 each when on sale. Hardly worth the time for design and build work of a home made solution.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/747143-agrimaster-poly-stock-tank-by-behlen-country.html#.VImZjskqJeM

wsantia1

Quote from: EdKaz on December 11, 2014, 07:25:29 AM
LOL a blast from the past

Never did get to building a wooden trough......DID wind up getting and using 3 of these for store bound growouts though.........$96 each when on sale. Hardly worth the time for design and build work of a home made solution.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/747143-agrimaster-poly-stock-tank-by-behlen-country.html#.VImZjskqJeM

I like those Ed. They also have a 300 gallon one. I will probably get one or 2 150s in the spring. Thanks for the link. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Sad thing is that I can't fit anything bigger than the 90+gal that I have already...down the stairs. :o

I could use a big one outside tho...??.....but building one would be more fun  ;D

Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on December 11, 2014, 08:16:02 AM
Sad thing is that I can't fit anything bigger than the 90+gal that I have already...down the stairs. :o

You could surely get these down the stairs.....

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-oval-tank-110-gal?cm_vc=-10005

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 11, 2014, 09:11:12 AM

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-oval-tank-110-gal?cm_vc=-10005

Dennis

Likely so....it's longer, instead of taller.....it's a stupid narrow door/pathway......30"...with a hand rail along the steps....I can gain a few inches removing that......we got the 130 and 110 down there by standing on end at the top, and same at the bottom to make the turn...dicey moves with that weight, etal....oh, and the the sloping ceiling above the stairs...that ends in std door height...sheesh... ::)

Jon

wsantia1

Dennis

That's a nice one too Dennis.  Great price also. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 11, 2014, 10:12:33 AM

Dennis

That's a nice one too Dennis.  Great price also. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, that's a great price.....I just measured the one that I have now...it's 44 X 32 X 25tall....it's supposed to be 85+ gallons.....when I fill it to the lip, I'm sure I'm getting 90+ from it....the one shown says 53 X 36 X 20     @110 gallons....

If I use that outside, I can bury half+ of it....use flat rock around it, add a pump, and make a nice little pond.....Hmmmmm....?????...waterfall??....a few lights???....overflow towards the hill down to the garden, for water freshening???....watering garden too...???...lay on my belly with a snorkel??...
it has possibilities?.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.....two of them?....one a bit higher than the other?....boomba.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D....
Jon

EdKaz

QuoteSad thing is that I can't fit anything bigger than the 90+gal that I have already...down the stairs

The 150 Gal stock tanks at F&F in the link, and the ones I got are 24x24x72. If you can get the  110 and 130 down there.........this thing SHOULD go.......only 6 inches wider.......and about 300 pounds LIGHTER ;)

Mugwump

Quote from: EdKaz on December 11, 2014, 12:09:32 PM
QuoteSad thing is that I can't fit anything bigger than the 90+gal that I have already...down the stairs

The 150 Gal stock tanks at F&F in the link, and the ones I got are 24x24x72. If you can get the  110 and 130 down there.........this thing SHOULD go.......only 6 inches wider.......and about 300 pounds LIGHTER ;)

The 'lighter' part is sure right....300lbs is likely the light side of those two big butt tanks...LOL...they had gravel in em too....ughhhhhhhh....

...it 's the turn in the kitchen and at the bottom of the stairs that really get dicey... a real tight swing....let me measure the turns.....
Jon

ilroost

Got to of the 300 gal. ones in my fish room. They are the winter homes for my koi

Mugwump

Dennis

Weird...under description, it says 'drain yes'....but under specifications...'drain no'.....????
Jon