• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 01:34:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 609
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 596
Total: 596

HeY Mugs.....I happen to

Started by EdKaz, March 12, 2014, 11:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdKaz

Mugwump

LOL...worth a try outside, for the summer maybe...??....wanna help me set one up?.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

..is that a wooden trough???....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

I dreamt about this rig last night.......ended up with a huge trough tank....LOL...Ed, how large are you talk'n here??.......15' plus??..20'...??....24"-30" deep....deeper?.....24" wide....??
Jon

b125killer

That's kind of neat. A 15'x24"x24" would be around 450 gallons. If my math is right. If you made it 12 foot it would be easier to make. You could use plywood and brace it with 2x4s. That would be 360 gallons.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on March 13, 2014, 06:39:02 AM
That's kind of neat. A 15'x24"x24" would be around 450 gallons. If my math is right. If you made it 12 foot it would be easier to make. You could use plywood and brace it with 2x4s. That would be 360 gallons.

Those were my calculations too, Scott.....I think that it's very doable here....geez, Ed..look what you started....LOL.. ;D ;D ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

If you do it please post pics along the way.  This job wouldn't be over my head if I could see it done.  Mine would have to be free standing, though.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 13, 2014, 07:51:15 AM
If you do it please post pics along the way.  This job wouldn't be over my head if I could see it done.  Mine would have to be free standing, though.

Definitely free standing....I was thinking 4 X 4's for a ground/floor base....attic roll insulation under it to block the cooler/cold temp...??
Jon

b125killer

Would you want to use a tarp or sheets of plastic to seal it? Or liquid rubber? I have been watching people build plywood aquariums on youtube a lot.  ;D
Scott

EdKaz

You and I kinda half assed joked about putting a pool here in the basement in the past...but THIS  might actually be doable.

*IF* I were to do something like this, it would likely be 15-20 ft long.....Im thinking 24inches front to back....and 18-20 inches high.......on a stand that puts the top of the "tank" 4 ft or so off the floor.
I was also looking at this and thinking why not just make the wooden trough, but instead of lining it with plastic.... epoxy/fiberglass the inside(and likely out) to allow adding several viewing "windows" (round to look like portals might be cool) :) along its length.

Son in law works at a Styrofoam Mfg joint and can get me styro at next to nothing to wrap the tank and help keep the heat in even :)

A couple of matenfilter mabobs on the ends, perhaps even splitting the trough in places to separate by size etc... , sponges in the middle, a drip system to constantly add fresh water, and some of them clear fiberglass roof panels for a top to help hold in the heat and condensate water..... probably also an air duct over it to help eliminate any escaped moisture here in the basement.

Thought about an outside grow out before, but our ever changing weather( and constantly fluctuating water temps) would surely play hell with the fish.

EdKaz

QuoteWould you want to use a tarp or sheets of plastic to seal it? Or liquid rubber?

Menards and or home depot sells 4x8ft white plastic sheets.......used for shower surrounds, splash areas. Those could be cut and glued to the inside, with some silicone to seal the edges/joints. Problem is they typically only come in White :(

Mugwump

..run rope light around the bottom perimeter... ;D......no sections tho...I'd want the benefit of all that water....outside would work fine too...a couple 300 watt heaters set at 78degs...day time sun would keep it warm all the time...actually louver the top with a super structure to limit direct sunlight...wire cloth used as a cover, and duckweed, etc....
Jon

Mugwump

Quote from: Mugwump on March 13, 2014, 08:23:07 AM
..run rope light around the bottom perimeter... ;D......no sections tho...I'd want the benefit of all that water....outside would work fine too...a couple 300 watt heaters set at 78degs...day time sun would keep it warm all the time...actually louver the top with a super structure to limit direct sunlight...wire cloth used as a cover, and duckweed, etc....

a lightly covering of sand, then add BN fry and cory fry
Jon

EdKaz

QuoteI was thinking 4 X 4's for a ground/floor base

Not sure it would need 4x4's if  the bottom of the trough were made of 2x6's with the 2x4 sides attached on TOP of the bottom, and 2x4s were spaced 2-3 ft or so apart.

"Sections" as in  foam filter type dividers.

As far as heat and outdoors...we had a pool in the yard for the grandkids, granted no insulation....but temp in that pool rarely got to 80 in direct sun.....and night time temps cooled ALOT more water than we are looking at here over night.

My thinking had always been that even A couple of 300 watt heaters for 4-500 gals of water,outdoors wouldnt be able to keep up. An outdoor setup in our area, Im afraid might turn out to be a lesson in futility........or large  investments in electricity and or other 'complicated" solutions to make it all work dependably.

Mugwump

Quote from: EdKaz on March 13, 2014, 08:43:21 AM
QuoteI was thinking 4 X 4's for a ground/floor base

Not sure it would need 4x4's if  the bottom of the trough were made of 2x6's with the 2x4 sides attached on TOP of the bottom, and 2x4s were spaced 2-3 ft or so apart.

"Sections" as in  foam filter type dividers.

As far as heat and outdoors...we had a pool in the yard for the grandkids, granted no insulation....but temp in that pool rarely got to 80 in direct sun.....and night time temps cooled ALOT more water than we are looking at here over night.

My thinking had always been that even A couple of 300 watt heaters for 4-500 gals of water,outdoors wouldnt be able to keep up. An outdoor setup in our area, I'm afraid might turn out to be a lesson in futility........or large  investments in electricity and or other 'complicated" solutions to make it all work dependably.

You're right, it could have 'rack' style legs.....heat...being as shallow as it is, compared to a much larger pool. it might even tend to get too hot on summer days....a tarp at night to deter radiant cooling would do fine, I would believe...??..even if the ambient temps set in the mid 70's, it'd work ok...if glass tops were used, the sun would boil the water...LOL...to be honest, I was thinking it might get too hot on occasion....an el nino summer is forecasted, so there will likely be an excess of 90-100 deg days....??   
Jon