• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 02:14:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 635
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 623
Total: 624

Do I dare?

Started by LizStreithorst, January 09, 2017, 04:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rjb3

wsantia1

Quote from: Rjb3 on January 10, 2017, 04:16:06 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on January 10, 2017, 01:59:32 PM
...well 300 at a pop is a good start.... |^|

+1

Sounds like you are going to be alright in the end Liz. Looking forward to see how you make out this year. Since I am ahead so far this year (10 days and $250 in sales) I might just keep tabs on things. I already track the water.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I was kind of dreading this because I bought a bunch of food from 2 people and a dozen magnum micron filters.  I sucked it up and wrote stuff down today.  All the food I got was billed on the 31st of last month.  I accidentally paid my water bill twice in December so the bill was only 8 bucks for January.  I feel like I have cheated but I have not.  I didn't decide to track my expenses until the second week in January.  I will come out smelling like a rose this month.  $400. in and just $158. out for water and electric.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

The old computer adage is, "Garbage in | Garbage out".    :(

Dennis

LizStreithorst

It'll catch up with me eventually.  Something expensive will break.

BallAquatics

How much of that food that was billed on the 31st of last month did you feed last year Liz?  I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just assuming you want meaningful data at the end of the year when you total everything.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

LizStreithorst

I am no $228. in the hole.  Happy now? :P

It's OK.  The micron filters last a very long time and since I buy a bunch of food at once and stick it in the freezer I'm good on most of my foods for a long while, too.

Thanks for the advice, Dennis.  I'd rather my numbers reflect the truth that wishful thinking.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 26, 2017, 02:07:44 PM
I'd rather my numbers reflect the truth that wishful thinking.

I thought that was what you were striving for.   |^|

With a little luck, at the end of the year you will be able to remove the $400 in fish sales and still be in the black.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

So Dennis...I can't put off ordering heaters much longer. I have none[/b in reserve. Some are just not doing the job they should.  I have to think about when I'll have the 150 gallon containers outside and buy heaters for them, too.  I figure I'll order between 15 and 17 heaters total.  I will buy them from Jhemco very soon. 

You advised me to put my expenses for the foods and supplies I bought on December 31st on this year's expenses.  Garbage in garbage out you said.  Now, I expect these heaters to have a lifetime longer that one year but I'm buying them now.  Is it fair that I put what I bought last year for this year on this year's expenses and also put the cost of the heaters which will last longer on this year, too?

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 30, 2017, 06:07:47 PM
... Is it fair that I put what I bought last year for this year on this year's expenses and also put the cost of the heaters which will last longer on this year, too?

It's nothing about being fair or not.  It's just the cost of doing business.

You could always depreciate the cost of the heaters over several years, but I never choose to do it that way.  The whole point of the exercise is to get a clear picture of what's coming in and what's going out.

When you have that picture, you can start speculating on changes for improvement.  For example, if at the end of the year you were close to breaking even, you will know that without the cost of heaters again next year, you'll be in the black.

In a way, it's really a shame that you had the expenses on the last day of last year because if you find you really want to make a go of this, you won't be able to include those costs in a one time start-up expense deduction for a new business.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

OK.  I'm finally starting to understand.  I'm kinda a retardo when it comes to anything involving numbers.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 31, 2017, 02:02:30 PM
OK.  I'm finally starting to understand.  I'm kinda a retardo when it comes to anything involving numbers.

..make a simple spread sheet....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I don't know how to do that and I don't want to learn.  I'll do just fine by reading what I have spent on.  I will break it down into food, equipment, new stock and other.  I'll divide up what I bring it, too.   
I imagine that a spread sheet does that for me but I'd rather do it in a notebook in English huh

LizStreithorst

I'd have made money last month if I hadn't bought those DD Blacks.  Instead I lost $100.

This week isn't starting off great.  I have to charge the $120. for the 2 DeWalt batteries to the fish.  I wouldn't even use those tools if it weren't for the fish room...I was counting on the wholesaler to take 250 of my babies.  He only needs 100.  Tammy is good.  She told me that the stores like my fish but that Barry has been doing business with another Angelfish breeder for 14 years so as a matter of loyalty he buys most of what he needs from the guy who has been supplying him forever.   She sounded apologetic but I told her that I totally understood.  That I would do the same.