• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 12:05:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 620
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 614
Total: 614

Do I dare?

Started by LizStreithorst, January 09, 2017, 04:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I've been thinking about writing down everything I spend on fish and all that I take in this year.  I'm afraid.  I've already bought a dozen Magnum micron filters, food from my Captain, and food from Al at simply.  These things will last for a long time but it's just early January.  I've already spent hundreds and have only brought in $100.  If the wholesaler takes my 300 Thursday I'll be a bit ahead. 

Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

ONLY if you plan for this to be a business and not a hobby!!!! 8)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

..it'll be eye opening...but I wouldn't... 2c2
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 09, 2017, 04:02:49 PM
I've been thinking about writing down everything I spend on fish and all that I take in this year.

I do that every year.  With all that was going on here in 2015, I lost $1200.  Prior to that I'd done pretty well each year. 

Dennis

LizStreithorst

This is the deal...I want to close my shop and start working from home.  I will have fewer expenses but make a lot less money.  It will be hard to leave the shop because I built it from nothing and it has sustained me for 8 years.  Now that I did that I want the challenge of knowing that I can make it working from home.  l want to know if I can make anything cranking Angels out for the wholesaler.  I know that sounds crude, but I  can have a bit of fun on the side by breeding what turns me on, like my Blue Clowns. 

ilroost

I would be afraid to even know. LOL

Ron Sower

Liz, for me things got a LOT easier when I started collecting SS and a very small retirement. I bet you will find the same thing. |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 09, 2017, 06:45:48 PM
...  l want to know if I can make anything cranking Angels out for the wholesaler.  ...

You don't really have any choice other than taking a hard look at the expenses then.   huh

Dennis

waterboy

Quote from: Ron Sower on January 09, 2017, 04:11:30 PM
ONLY if you plan for this to be a business and not a hobby!!!! 8)

Sometimes keeping records is part of the hobby.  In my former life I was an engineer and keeping records was part of the job.  Got to like it.  I keep records of almost every expense.  I think one year I came out $39 ahead.  But they pay for all their own food and supplies. I certainly don't think you can make much profit unless you turn it into a business, and even then it would be pretty difficult.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Rjb3

As a hobby it's great.

My thought is electricity is a big part of the expense. When I was breeding and had 1000 gallons total, my electric bill went up $120 per month. When my food bill hit $50 I started making it.

People ask if there's money in our plant business. I quickly reply "We have a $22,000 truck to haul the stuff around. I don't think we'll recover that any time soon". Gale hates it when I say that. LOL

LizStreithorst

Coming out $39 ahead on the year would be delightful.  I get a lot of pleasure working with the fish.  I just need for them not to put me in the poor house.  Dennis is right.  I need to find out.

I'll charge the fish for half of my electric bill.  It's more during the winter and less during the summer so splitting it in half will be a good guess.  I'll saddle them with my entire water bill.  I use 100s of gallons on the fish every day.  What I use for myself it a drop in the bucket compared to what I use for them.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to keeping track.  It will be fun unless I find out that the fish are doing me wrong in a big way.  I don't think that will be the case since I've moved the Discus far onto the back burner and moved the Angels to front.

I got good news from the wholesaler today.  They want my 300 babies on Thursday.  I'll get to walk around all day pretending I'm making a killing on fish sales ::)

Mugwump

...well 300 at a pop is a good start.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

And there's the $100 from the LFS yesterday.  I'll have another 100 ready to go in 4 to 6 weeks and 4 big batches of free swimmers for later.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 10, 2017, 02:11:03 PM
And there's the $100 from the LFS yesterday.  I'll have another 100 ready to go in 4 to 6 weeks and 4 big batches of free swimmers for later.

+1   |^|
Jon

waterboy

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 10, 2017, 01:30:20 PM
Coming out $39 ahead on the year would be delightful.  I get a lot of pleasure working with the fish.  I just need for them not to put me in the poor house.  Dennis is right.  I need to find out.

I'll charge the fish for half of my electric bill.  It's more during the winter and less during the summer so splitting it in half will be a good guess.  I'll saddle them with my entire water bill.  I use 100s of gallons on the fish every day.  What I use for myself it a drop in the bucket compared to what I use for them.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to keeping track.  It will be fun unless I find out that the fish are doing me wrong in a big way.  I don't think that will be the case since I've moved the Discus far onto the back burner and moved the Angels to front.

I got good news from the wholesaler today.  They want my 300 babies on Thursday.  I'll get to walk around all day pretending I'm making a killing on fish sales ::)

They can't do you wrong in a big way if you get a lot of pleasure working with the fish.  There is a thing called a Kill-A-Watt that you plug into your electric line and it tells you how much electricity you use.  My electric bill is way higher than I would like, but I figure if we are still eating well and keeping warm in the winter why worry about it.  That $400 will buy a lot of fish food and spare heaters.  And about the time the wholesaler is looking for more angels i"ll bet you will have them ready to go.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.