• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 06:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 552
Total: 552

Eggsperimenting

Started by nix70c, July 22, 2016, 05:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterboy

Quote from: nix70c on August 05, 2016, 09:33:27 PM
Heck I can hatch them out, give them a rinse and stick them in Angels Plus rearing jars in a 55g or 75g tank and they still turn white and die come day 6 or 7. Using spring water in a little gallon glass jar at least gets me to the point where I see them bounce around.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

If the top sponge in the hatching jar gets a little clogged it can cut down the flow drastically. Make sure the top sponge is real clean. If the flow slows down there is not enough oxygen getting to the fry.
One other possibility is that the parents are just not strong enough. I have one pair that I have pulled 5 spawns and yet to get any free swimmers, they all die on the day they should go free swimming.  That doesn't seem like the problem if you pulled three batches and they all died.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

nix70c

Threw the three batches of eggs in a gallon jar. Rinsed it and the air stone and tubing with the hottest water from my tap and dried with paper towels. Using RODI water from Walmart and a cap of H2O2 every 12 hours. Will show the hatch rate when I have wigglers.

wallace

What happened to the ones that were bouncing around yesterday?

I'm confused. You were able to raise fry successfully, and then a couple months ago all spawns started dying before they were free swimming? Or have you never got past day 6?

Dan

nix70c

Quote from: wallace on August 06, 2016, 05:01:02 PM
What happened to the ones that were bouncing around yesterday?

I'm confused. You were able to raise fry successfully, and then a couple months ago all spawns started dying before they were free swimming? Or have you never got past day 6?
The ones that were starting to bounce around are beginning to turn white and die. There are still some wiggling, if I give a gentle swirl some will come up off the bottom and swim for a few seconds then settle back down again. https://vimeo.com/177843790

I feel like I'm missing the step where you wave the magic wand over the wigglers and they come up off the bottom..

I have raised two batches of fry successfully, I can't tell you how other than it was two flukes. One batch almost a year ago in my first attempt at a rearing jar and another batch about 6 months ago in a gallon goldfish bowl clamped inside the parent tank with an air stone using their water for water changes. In the past year I've had as many as 10 breeding pair, 5 batches of eggs just this week. So I have plenty of opportunity and like I said, I have a great hatch out rate. They just never get to free swimming..

nix70c

Hey friends, we've got wigglers now. First three pics are what was left after I put the air stone really gently up against the slates. I knocked off maybe 15 or so bad eggs. I usually get a little better hatch out with Meth Blue, but this is the first time using RODI water so who knows.

wallace

Are they still in RODI or are you changing water with tap now?
Dan

nix70c

Quote from: wallace on August 08, 2016, 07:26:58 PM
Are they still in RODI or are you changing water with tap now?
I poured all but about an inch of the water out and filled it back up nice and easy with RODI. Our tap is loaded with chloramine. Tap water treated with Prime and tank water aged less than 3 days kills everything. Any input is much appreciated. I've been keeping notes trying to figure this out..

wallace

Even fish native to blackwater need some minerals in the water, especially calcium, or there are often problems with fry development. Most people mix some tap to get a certain TDS, but if you don't trust the tap water you might consider adding something like Discus Trace or a bit of calcium chloride.

Do you have a TDS meter?
Dan

nix70c

I either knocked off a few more eggs than I thought I did or they came loose beforehand on me. But plenty of wigglers.https://vimeo.com/178113396

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on August 08, 2016, 07:55:15 PM
Even fish native to blackwater need some minerals in the water, especially calcium, or there are often problems with fry development. Most people mix some tap to get a certain TDS, but if you don't trust the tap water you might consider adding something like Discus Trace or a bit of calcium chloride.

Do you have a TDS meter?

IMHO....I think you'll open a big can of worms messing with the water....especially hatching fry.....better to just treat and age the water...Prime removes the chloramines....keep the water in a bucket with an air stone and do no more than 10% changes until transitioned to the stable water that you use in the rest of your tanks.....they'll be fine....resist the urge to over 'mother' them....you got fry before, you'll get them again....tho you might start blending the water in the parents tank with the RO to reduce the PH/tds's for their next spawn... |^|...50/50 blend should do it...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Quote from: nix70c on August 08, 2016, 07:58:18 PM
I either knocked off a few more eggs than I thought I did or they came loose beforehand on me. But plenty of wigglers.https://vimeo.com/178113396

..excellent !!.......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

nix70c

Yes I have a TDS meter. New RODI water is 2, fry jar is 6. My tap is around 150-200 before Prime and reasonably hard pH in the high 7s. Give me your thoughts, mix 50/50  RODI and aged tank water? Like I said I'm experimenting because everything I've read, tried, or know to do doesn't work.

wallace

I agree with Jon, your tap water should be fine... I only mess with water because I have to. I mentioned the minerals only because pure RODI is asking for trouble.
Dan

nix70c

OK so here we are, I've got wigglers in fresh RODI water, laid on Friday morning. Just let them percolate and see what happens? Siphon out a little water per day and replace with aged tank water? Am I missing anything? Do you give them a stir when you walk by, reposition the air stone periodically? Leave them alone until day 7 and wait to for them to come up off the bottom?

LizStreithorst

I agree with everyone else.

But I have a question.  Why are you putting them in a jar?  It seems such a joyless method huh
Always move forward. Never look back.